Thursday, September 05, 2002

You know, I had just written a pretty cool entry, but I had to go and accidentally erase the son-of-a-bitch. Anyway. It was a damn fine day thus far today. I got into piano class almost on time again, even considering I had to stow my cumbersome bass in a locker first. I'm finding myself more motivated this time around, much more so than my last attempt at music majoring. Experience has made me focused this time, and not second-guessing my goals. I finally know what I want to do, and it's a great feeling, even if I'm off to a slow start. I'm even enjoying piano class, despite only being able to play Frère Jacques. I'm just actually looking forward to learning how to play the damn piano, I guess.

I put the 3 hour break betwixt classes to good use this time (not that ogling beautiful, young ladies is time spent poorly) by practicing my bass. I tried to adhere to my 10-15 minutes on, 10-15 minutes off regimen so I don't fuck up my wrists or hands; I've no time for tendonitis or CTS. And I even got to spend various points of the short breaks, you guessed it, ogling beautiful young women. Shockingly, one of them, a fellow music student, smiled & actually talked to me. I was flabergasted, but who am I to argue anyway? I can only plead/pray/cajole/make sacrifices to any/all of the gods out there that I might have more interaction from this stunning girl, but we won't hold our breath just yet.

I just ordered a real gig bag for my bass, so I don't have to use the sorry cover my teacher lent me, although it was great of him to lend me anything at all. It's a thin, canvas cover, dried-out and ripped, with shoddy snaps on it, which barely stretches enough to cover my instrument. It's about one step up from a god-damned garbage bag tied closed with rat-chewed twine. The one I ordered however... oh yes. It's a Kaces III Symphony Grade bass bag, for $99 plus shipping. It's a heavy-duty cordura nylon bag with good, thick padding, multiple double-stitched handles, big luggage grade zippers which stop at the end-pin, and a padded bridge protector. It's got 3 huge utility pockets, 2 bow pockets, and a "rich, velour lining." The zippers are even finished so it won't fuck up the finish of the bass. What a bag, what a price. Yowza.

Well, the second half of the day starts now. I'm off to mom & dad's again to filch some dinner & grab my friend's bike to bring here. I'm looking after/using it while he's in training for a few months to be a government pig. Damn fine job for him too... he's excellent with investigations, and not coincidentally, he's been hired by the State Dept. as an investigator! I have a feeling that he'll move up the ladder quickly there with his wits and skills. Anyways, till he finishes training, his Jeep mountain bike is mine! A friend's band, South Central, is playing tonight, and a bike would be a nice way to not worry about how much to drink, since it's just too far to hike.

That's all for now... I'll raise a pint for y'all later.

No comments: