Monday, September 23, 2002

Watched Bears lose; ate Thai soup, spit fire


Today featured a Bears loss, to New Orleans. It started out as a strong game, with the Bears steam-rolling to a 20-0 lead. They totally blew this by the 3rd quarter, and the Saints came back to win it, 21-20. Ridiculous. Ben & I had our fill of Saranac Black Forest again, as well. We figured that since the opposing team was from NOLA, we'd have some Cajun food, to celebrate the anticipated eating of the cajun team by the Bears (which failed to happen). We got cajun burgers... cooked to medium-well, topped with provolone & sprinkled with some kind of cajun seasoning. Ben had mac salad & I had garlic mashed potatoes with mine. They were quite good, as is par with the Distillery.

After loafing around the apartment, and napping, I went out for coffee with a girl from Thailand tonight. She introduced herself on ICQ, the chat program, and said she'd be in town for a convention. I can't express what a thrill it is to meet people from other parts of the world, it gives me a sense of world community, I guess. We went to Spot Coffee, which is right down the road, as she's staying at the Days Inn across East Ave from my building! She's a computer engineering student, and we found out that people, especially college students, have more in common throughout the world than one might think. Apparently part of her diet is ramen noodles, but made in Thailand. She was kind enough to give me a couple of packs for me to try. We said our good-nights, and hopefully I can see her again before she leaves. She's very nice, and I think we can learn alot from each other about our respective countries, and how similar citizens of the world truly are.

When I came home, I made one of the packs of noodles... not even the one Neng said was spicy, mind you. Well let me tell you, they don't fuck around when they make instant noodles over in Thailand. It was littered with those hot red peppers you find in Asian dishes, and was rather painful to eat, but it tasted great. Several times I recoiled after getting a spoonful of peppers, coughed, hacked, and thought I was going to exhale fire. I had to sit back, with lips burning and eyes watering, and look upon this bowl of soup with a new sense of respect: not just a meal, but a very worthy adversary. It took me over 20 minutes to tackle this bowl of Thai soup, but by-god I did it! I suspect Neng will be fairly amused when I tell her what a rough time I had with it.

Very briefly I thought I was going to have to kill someone again tonight. I heard, emanating from upstairs, this terrible sound which resembled electric guitar, and it almost made my ears bleed. The tone was weak and tooth-less, and the hack who wielded this guitar had some sort of aversion to playing in tune. One day I'll walk upstairs and find the circuit-breaker in the hall & knock out their entire apartment. This took place shortly before midnight. Those dead-beat pot-heads better be glad I don't go to sleep early... I know for a fact that the super-intendent hates them as it is. A couple complaints from me could have them thrown out & living in a refrigerator box, which I find myself liking the idea of more and more frequently.

I've been compelled to sent a shout-out to my girl in Long Island. Apparently Mary (see, you're famous now!) wants something extra to look forward to, as if my clever musings weren't enough. I see how you are. Currently we're going back and forth in instant messages, dreaming of where we can move away to. Colorado's in the running, and she'll even go to Fredonia I guess. It'd be perfect if it ever happens, but we shall see...

Tomorrow's going to be easy, just like your mom. I have band practice, and only possibly, at 6:00. Neng & I may hang out again, and I need to deposit my check from mom, and practice & study a bunch. Another thrilling day in Rochester...


No comments: