Saturday, September 28, 2002

Back in town, back to the grind


Well, so much for a great vacation. It started out well enough, with a quick drive up to Old Forge, and a late afternoon arrival. We went into town for dinner at Frankie's, a great Italian restaurant. We both had a ziti dish with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, in a tangy bleu cheese sauce... damn fine stuff. We retired to the motel with booze for an evening of drinking and playing Uno. I handily pasted Stenzel on several occasions with my superior Uno skills.

Friday wasn't so special. The remains of hurricane Isadore swept slowly through the northeast, causing a 24-hour deluge beginning in the early hours. We slept in till about noon, being the indolent bastards we are, and went into town for lunch around 12:30. Around this time my sinuses opened up and my nose ran until nightfall, requiring a constant supply of kleenex. I took a couple of the prescription Allegra allergy pills dad gave to me, and some nasal spray, but it didn't help a bit. I didn't want to mix medications, so I had to just be miserable all god-damn day until I could try something else. We visited one of Stenzel's aunt's, who works in a motel right on Old Forge pond, then took a spin to see the Sagamore, an old resort built for the blue-bloods in New York and Boston early last century. We then drove to Big Moose & had a drink at a nifty bar there. I of course had to go to the bath-room every 3-4 minutes to blow my nose. Fucking irritating. We went back to town & got some anti-histamines, which helped clear me up, but took me right out of commission. I was groggy & be-fuddled till we both konked out. Although I still had enough wits left to give Stenz a good thrashing in Uno again, though he won a couple more games this round.

We checked out of the motel at 11am this morn, and I popped a pre-cautionary anti-histamine. We went to a diner for break-fast, then we spun by Stenz's other aunt's place so he could get the printer to work on her new iMac. Once a computer tech, always a computer tech. We hit the road after that, taking route 31 to Cicero to avoid some nasty construction we saw on the way up. At Cicero we caught I-81 south-bound to the thruway, and it was a quick cruise home.

It was good to get home, although there were several messes staring at me upon my return, seeming to taunt me. So I gritted my teeth, ignored them, and had a beer. And now I have to get my crap together and go to band practice. Should be interesting playing tonight, given how out-of-it I am. Oh well, it'll all work out somehow. Hopefully I'll write something a little more interesting next time, if I'm not doped up on cold drugs.

No comments: