Tuesday, September 24, 2002

I just cooked myself a scrumptious dinner, and you can't have any!


Today (Monday) was wrapped up by a good practice. I initially didn't want to go in the least, but Mikey showed up at Don's around 6:30, so I picked up Chris, we got smokes & a couple 40's and headed off. I forgot my strap, which sucked. I used somebody else's & it wasn't too comfortable, but I digress. We ran through some tunes and it sounded good, and we started having a decent time. By the end we were stretching out into the jams a little, and getting more adventurous... just the way I like it. We all played damn good, and I was praised for my ears & mad skills tonight... rawk on. At this rate I may even look forward to saturday's practice. Except that I may be out of town... up to the Adirondacks with Stenz... haven't decided yet. Also, we've decided to record again soon. The idea is to record every tune we have & pick an album (or possibly a double-length cd) from it. Recording's always a hoot, and this time it may be a little looser... more improv and jam sections involved, less precisely-written solos & parts. Or at least I hope.

I cooked myself a late dinner and consequently probably won't be able to sleep anytime soon. Earlier, before practice, I brined a bone-less chicken breast in a solution of kosher salt and tepid water, for about an hour or so. Then I got called to practice, so I wrapped it & tossed it in the 'frige. When I was ready to start, I set a pot of water boiling for pasta, and prepared a mixing bowl with oil and pesto. Then I seasoned the chicken with Paul Prudhomme's "poultry magic" seasonings blend and fresh ground black pepper. I set a sauté pan on medium heat with olive oil, butter, and garlic tabasco on the stove, and added the chicken breast when it was hot. I sautéd the chicken for about 10 minutes, making it golden brown on the outside, and fully-cooked inside. I tossed the linguine when it was done, evenly coating it with oil and pesto. I arranged the pasta on one side of the dish, added more black pepper and fresh-grated romano cheese. I set the chicken on the other side, and quickly made a dijon mustard and mayonnaise sauce for it. Finally I sat down and savoured my creation. The brining had paid off: the chicken was heavenly... moist and tender; not a hint dried out from cooking. I heartily recommend you try this with white meat from chicken or turkey, it works fantastic.

I'm tired, but it's anybody's guess as to if I'll be able to sleep. But I'll give it a go. I have to perform two versions of "Mary Ann" for piano tomorrow, and I'm still shakey on it. I also have a quiz for music history.... what a day.

No comments: