Sunday, June 06, 2004

Win one for the Gipper

MSNBC - American Dreamer

Ronald Wilson Reagan faded to black yesterday, ending a monumental life. I strongly disagree with the majority of his ideologies, and I think his presidency and administration did more harm than good. I cannot, however, deny his significant impact on 20th century US history. He re-shaped politics and the presidency. He changed the stance of America in the world arena, and he was the father of what's become the modern conservative Republican. Although he got his start campaigning for Barry Goldwater, I don't feel he was at all similar to him by the time he reached the White House.

He saw the world in terms of black and white, good and evil; a characteristic which would hallmark modern Republicans, particularly our current president. In a presidency riddled with scandals of the magnitude which have tarnished subsequent presidents, he managed to stay above it all, and left office with a remarkably high approval rating.

Whether you loved him or hated him, his historical significance can't be denied.

So I bid my farewell to Ronald Reagan, the Teflon President.

No comments: