A whirl-wind of a weekend
The couple days in Chautauqua county was great, very enjoyable. The ride down Wednesday night with Heidi was fun and relaxing, although it was dark for much of it. We settled in for the night shortly after we arrived (in separate rooms, of course!). I slept on the pull-out couch, which had a damn fine mattress.
After a night of adequate sleep (due to and unfamiliar setting & bed) I got up around 7:15 AM and sipped coffee with Julia for a bit. I hit the road a little before 8:00 for my future school, Fred State. I got there around 8:35, and settled in for a gruelling ten hours of transfer orientation hell. I was hoping to register for classes by noon, and drive back to Julia's. However... Fate, the cruel bitch she can be, saw fit that I was to stay there all day. My group's registration time was 5:00 PM, ensuring that I stay for the entirety of the orientation glee. Whee.
I had to sit through several hours of presentations and lectures, the great majority of which were useless for me. I've been going to school since most of these other transfers were learning their multiplication tables... I don't need to learn how the goddamn library works. Then there was the Career Development Office. The presenter of this colossal waste of time quoted Benjamin Disraeli and asked if anyone knew who he was. I rolled my eyes and nodded, which apparently was an indication that I had to answer the question. So I gave her a 30 second dissertation on Disraeli, which left her a little flustered, and admitting that I knew more than she on the man. Ha.
I bombed my (unexpected!) theory placement test, getting tossed back into written and aural theory III. Goddamn it. I was late getting out of my test, and didn't have enough time to eat my lunch, so I had to bolt it and run to the 1:00 presentation.
The multi-cultural workshop was the kicker. We had to participate in all kinds of diversity and anti-stereotype games. I've had this subject matter drilled into me for at least 12 years now... I well know that people are different and that's great. So I had to have a bunch of 20-21 year-olds preach to me about how great diversity is. Leave me alone. Goddamn it. I hate that about college.
Finally I had my final advisement and registration at 5:00, and naturally I was the penultimate person to be registered. I was at the goddamn school until almost 6:30.
I felt like I'd just been paroled when I got out of there, and I thoroughly enjoyed my drive home. Upon my return, I was greeted by Heidi, Julia and Matt giving me beer! And good beer! Southern Tier Brewing's Hop Sun. It seems that while I was languishing at Fred State, the two girls made a wee trip to the brewery and made off with three growlers of their fine craft: Hop Sun, IPA, and porter. It turns out that the porter wasn't consumed and Heidi and I made off with that growler when we went home, as we're dark beer fans. Yay for girls who like good beer!
The dinner menu was a collaboration between our hosts, and best described by Julia on her blog. Dessert was expertly prepared by Heidi and described by her. How yummy it all was. Somehow I missed out on the shortcake, which is something I'll ever regret.
After dinner we went to a Jamestown bar and hung with Julia and Matt's usual Thursday night crowd, comprised of local TV news-casters. It was a good time and there was much beer to be had. After the bar, there was quite the snoring coming from upstairs, so Heidi and I hung out in the living room until it subsided, which was an enchanting time.
The following day the girls and I hung around the place, sitting out the cold and rain by having tea and scones, and browsing through old pictures and letters of theirs. A great trip down memory lane, even if it was mostly not my memories.
Heidi and I hit the road and dined at an Italian restaurant in Fredonia. We did a drive-by of my apartment to be, and headed east on Route 20 for Silver Creek and the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation, for a quick trip to Native Pride for a cheap carton of smokes. The rest of the ride home was relaxing and capped off a fun vacation for us. Except for my ten hour Fredonia ordeal.
Saturday found us and Kirk excavating/packing the apartment again. We spent several hours cleaning house on B-18 and running boxes back to ma and pa Griffith's. That evening we took a margarita break, which turned out to be four rounds of the tasty treats, which pretty much did us in. Heidi and I accepted Ben's invitation to a free showing of a Dave Matthews Band laser light show at the RMSC, which was a good time. Refer to Heidi's blog for some juicy details and some great pics!
That's it for now. T-minus 3 days left to move out of B-18 completely, so I'm off to apply for a job and do some more work at the apartment.
Give me a job, damn you!
2 comments:
Yeah.. just think.. I have to live with that snoring! I should buy stock in ear plugs.
I'm not sure how you do it, but more power to you! I recommend the foam barrel plugs... they knock out a solid 30dB of noise. That should ensure at least some sleep...
Post a Comment