Friday, June 18, 2004

Fredonia's going down the toilet


I forgot to mention one significant & terrible thing about yesterday's travels: I discovered that Fredonia's brewpub, the Barker Brew Company, has closed. I'm not sure when this happened, and I couldn't find out specifically why either. I suppose it should come as no great surprise, given it's location in a town full of toothless, jerk-weed townies and cheap, light beer drinking college kids.

How many in such a population would want real beer?

Now if there's at least one place to have Southern Tier on tap I'll at least be satisfied, but I shouldn't hold my breath...

4 comments:

All Things Jennifer said...

I being from Fredonia, enjoy real beer! AND I have all my teeth! But, geez...closed! Where shall I take my friends for a classy night on the town before BJ's?

: )

Ryan said...

I can imagine that any class of a given evening would be quickly evaporated by the time you hit the door-way of BJ's...

And sorry about the toothless comment lol glad to see you're a good sport about my acidic comments...

Julia said...

Yeah, I just found out last night that the Barker was closed. Seriously bites! At least Southern Tier still does tours 1-5 on Sat. The next closest brew pub is in Buffalo (or Ellicottville if you're traveling from J-town). So never fear, we'll keep you in the good stuff when you down here "permanently" :-)

Ryan said...

I'm not sure these days how even "quasi-permanantly" I'll be moving, really, but at least there'll be good beer! I won't likely be staying in Fred for many school breaks, and definitely not for summer! However, I'll be down there for the better part of eight months a year for three years... and I'll need some goddamn good beer occasionally! ;o)