Monday, June 21, 2004

This I'd like to see when it's done

CNN.com - Projects work to revive Salt River - Jun 21, 2004

Interesting news from my old stomping grounds in Phoenix, AZ. For the two years I lived in the Valley of the Sun, I saw water in the Salt River only a handful of times. So rare was it an actual river that there's a major road going through it's bed (McKellips Rd., in north Mesa). This project, undertaken by the world's premier civil engineers, the US Army Corps of Engineers, will alter the landscape of the Phoenix area in ways not seen in decades, I'm sure. Not since before the massive influx of people which caused unabated development to scar the once-beautiful desert vistas and small, semi-frontier town atmosphere that the area enjoyed until the mid to late 1980s.

I could reminisce more, but time is money, so someone remind me to recount some of my Phoenix/desert experiences later, okay?

No comments: