Taking the good with the bad
The much-dreaded Greek wedding went off without many problems, and no incidents what-so-ever last night. Service was more organized than not, and I felt it went farly smoothly, all-in-all. I was a bar-back before dinner, and apparently did such a good job that James, one of the bartenders requested me for after dinner service. I spent the remainder of the night up in the foyer re-suppliying the bars & occasionally in the back trying to cajole the Mexican steward into cleaning more bar glasses, which he eventually did, but I wish I had a translator. Or an INS agent. Eventually, as business up front calmed down, James asked me to take the wheel, and so did Kevin, the other tender, later on, so I got to do some bartending as well. I didn't have to make anything complicated, and it was a great learning experience. The guys gave me some money and will probably have me work with them again, so I think I just got my foot in the bartending door, which is something I've wanted for awhile now.Around 2:00 (that's a.m.) Justin, the banquet cap'n, had me go & help him clean the ballroom. About everyone else had left, so there were only 4 of us to finish up: Justin, Joe the asst. manager, Mary, a work-a-holic Hyatt vet, and myself. And now for the bad part... as I was carrying a tray-load of dirty glassware, I felt a shooting pain, like a charlie-horse, in my right middle back. I almost dropped the tray & it got a quick landing on a table. I hobbled around, grunting for the remainder of the shift, about 20 minutes, and was able to accomplish very little. So now I can't move around, or even take a deep breath without a sharp pain in my back. I'm going to rest it, take pain-killers, and see if it improves on its own, since I utterly lack medical insurance. Then again, I should probably go file a report there or something, for possible workman's comp. In the meantime, I have stuff to lift, such as my 65 lb. amp to a couple rehearsals, and my upright to school and back. Why do I not have an indentured servant when I really need one?
No comments:
Post a Comment