Monday, May 31, 2004

Victory is mine!

I fulfilled my final academic obligation to MCC, and I am now officially on summer break. My project turned out pretty good, I think. It's 35 measures, and almost Impressionist. I used the whole tone scale, real parallelism, non-functional harmony, pandiatonicism, a little modal harmony, and polychords. The transitions between techniques were a little abrupt, but it wasn't a requirement that they be smooth. I developed and restated themes and motives to bring it together. Hopefully my analysis was reasonably good, as I wasn't quite sure how to analyze some of the more atonal stuff. I got compliments from Heidi, whose opinion I value, since she studied that kinda stuff at a higher level than I.

I emailed the final copy around 4:40, and Ben and I raced to TJ's to print it up, as my printer's busted up. We hauled ass to school and after discovering building 4's doors locked, we had to go around to the front of the school, so I didn't have the printout under my professor's door until 5:05, but there was no sign of his car anyway. I figured he wasn't going to pick it up this weekend necessarily, but I had to hold up my end of the deal, and so I did.

So possibly I may scrape by with a D or a C this spring in theory. Not anything I should be especially proud of, and hopefully I'm still Fredonia bound. But I proved to myself that I can do what I have to, and that I at a minimum can do the basic requirements of a four-year college student.

It feels great to have finished the project, and it feels great to be done!

I'M DONE!!!

No comments: