Saturday, May 15, 2004

I'm Movin' Out


I just needed to quote a Billy Joel song title to keep with the music motif, but I'm not actually movin' out. Alot of my crap is leaving today though, and all of Kirk's, except what he gives to me. Today is clean, pack and get all the crap out of B-18 day. The only stuff left here will be what I need to survive for the next month and a half that I'll be dwelling here. My couch, piano, bookcases, most books, videos, alot of clothes, and most kitchenware will be loaded into a U-Haul and carted to my folks' house for storage and future sorting through. Alot of other possessions here will be sorted through today and donated or thrown out, as I've got to slim my collection of crap down to something that can be fit into a single apartment by summer's end. Once I move to Fredonia, that's it. My parents are moving to Pennsylvania within 3 years, and probably more like 2. So I won't be able to call Rochester home after that, in a way, and I won't be able to store all this shit at their house.
The only things I'm keeping here are:
•my instruments
•my shitty mattress (which will be unceremoniously cast into the parking lot next to the dumpster when I go)
•my dresser
•some clothes
•just enough cookware to cook
•1 each plate, glass, coffee mug, and silver-ware set
•my computer and desk (which will also be discarded upon move out, since it's dis-integrating)

Akin to school, it's finally starting to hit me that I'm leaving B-18. I've been living here, mostly self-sufficient for over two years. I started out working as a security guard at Nortel, played with a great band, went back to MCC, solidified my decision and desire to study music, and was accepted into Fredonia. It's been a hell of an interesting journey, and it's been probably the most dynamic two straight years of my life. I've made alot of personal progress and improvements as I entered my 30's... better late than never I guess. It's still only upward from here... Excelsior, my friends, Excelsior!

Speaking of school, I went to the MCC Awards Banquet last night, and that was long and semi-boring, yet fun if you can understand. Six music students and one faculty, Dr. Shaw, attended. The food was sub-standard, but the beer was fine and dandy. Shaw got the wheels of progress turning since last year, and we were presented with actual awards... real, physical certificates acknowledging our scholarships, which was a great improvment upin last year, where we just stood up at our table when our names were called.

After the banquet, we all (including Shaw!) went to the California Brew Haus, a dive out on West Ridge near Kodak Park. There was almost a fight early on... good stuff. We played pool, darts, and I kicked some serious ass in foos-ball with this dude named Matt. We also saw a fellow student, John Sheffer's band... I forget what they're called. We drank a bunch, it was good times. Many pictures were taken of both banquet and drunken revelry at the bar, so once I remember where my online photo album is, I'll post 'em.

Guess I had alot to say, but luckily for you, it's time for me to continue cleaning & organizing before Kirk & his fiancee Christie get here to move. Maybe once school's done I can post more frequently and then they won't be longer than War and Peace.

Excelsior!

No comments: