Big wake up call, anyone?
This week past (actually most of this semester) I demonstrated the absolute worst qualities a college student ought to have. I had seven days to finish a 30 measure final theory project and I didn't. I procrastinated until the day it was due (yesterday) and then was unprepared and possibly unwilling to finish it, which for me would've required actually starting it much sooner. When I emailed the incomplete project to my professor he shot back a reply which I can only describe as livid. I'm posting his comments, verbatim, here for all to see. Or at least all 3 or 4 of you who read this. His email is dead-nuts right too: if I'm not willing to do whatever it takes to get a finished, quality project turned in by 5:00 PM Sunday, then my chances of success at Fredonia, or anyplace else, are indeed slim. So I have roughly 20-24 waking hours to get this done and to MCC. I've made a pact with myself that if I don't, I won't be continuing with my studies in the fall since I'll obviously just be too goddamn lazy.So perhaps this (along with some righteous annoyance from Heidi) is the wake up call I needed to get serious about school. Hell, it's even possible I could finally live up to all this "potential" stuff they always used to tell me I had in high school!
The e-mail:
<< I'll keep my fingers crossed that the totality of my work will merit a passing grade >>
Cross them all you want, Ryan, but it doesn't. Not even close. Out of 12 assignments, you managed to do 7. You do the math. Does that sound like an acceptable or passing amount? On any planet?? So, don't you think that this FINAL PROJECT is just a bit important to your grade? It's a F****ING FINAL EXAM, Ryan. How you could blow it off, I don't understand. You waited till the last minute, and then from your message below, just shrugged it off. I don't get it. This, as with the rest of your studies, should be your first priority. It's only your life.
So, if you want to possibly pass Theory IV, I will generously give you until 5 p.m. Sunday to email me a damn good final project AND to also slide a complete printout under my office door, just like EVERYONE ELSE did ON TIME. No exceptions, no negotiations. And obviously, this doesn't guarantee anything. Just make it happen. I'll even go in special for you to pick it up.
Otherwise, congratulations. You earned an F.
Your choice, but I'd lay off the booze and go do some serious work. It's nothing personal, Ryan, but I'm very disappointed in your performance. And this tops it off. I don't want you to fail at Fredonia, but you will if you don't start changing.
Just get this done.
-(name omitted)
1 comment:
Yowsers! That's a hell of a wake-up call. I hope you're heeding it. Good luck with getting everything done by tomorrow. *hugs*
Post a Comment