End of an era
I went to my final class at MCC at 2:00 yesterday afternoon. It couldn't have ended any better, as it was my favorite class, music theory. We ordered pizza and our professor asked us each in turn to tell the class what our plans for the fall are, where we are transferring to and what we plan to major in. He filled us in on a couple final details, and handed out our final project (a 30 measure Impressionist piece utilizing 6 concepts and techniques we learned this spring). We listened to a bunch of the brief serial homeworks turned in, took some pictures, and had our little theory party. Right before we left at 3:00, he gave us a quick "you guys were great, I've really enjoyed teaching you and I hope you learned alot" kinda speech, and we all cheered. Hats off to Dr. Dave Shaw, a remarkable musician, pedagogue, and person. If I have another teacher of his caliber again, I'll be truly fortunate.The Music picnic was also yesterday, at Powder Mills Park, in Perinton. It was at a nice little lodge, and we had a cook-out, and set up a volleyball net. We must've played for a good hour or two. It seemed like a long time at least. Shaw played with us, as did Matt Robey, our piano faculty. The entertainment for the evening was provided by the constant singing and comments from Wil McKenna, and he said some of the funniest things I've heard in weeks. I like Wil enough right now to actually plug his band, so here you go.. Wil heads up Mountain Mojo Authority, and they're always ready to lay down the reggae for you. Good stuff, mon.
The picnic morphed into an afterhours party at TJ's, where there was much drinking to be done. Two of our esteemed faculty made appearances, but I'll omit their names. The beer-pong table was set up, the weed was smoked between the houses, and a grand time was had by all on this last day of MCC classes.
I've made alot of good friends these past two years, and learned an incredible amount about music. Come fall it'll be time to keep the ball rolling down at Fred State... I can't lose my momentum now. What a great time it is to be me!
Something to look forward to this fall: more blogs. I'm thinking about starting a more clean, professional blog about my music education pursuits, from my education on through (hopefully) to when I teach myself. Also, it may be fun to start a team blog within the trombone studio... I'll have to see if there's any interest in that as I meet people. Huzzah for blogs!
No comments:
Post a Comment