Thursday, May 06, 2004

Good vibrations, or merely adequate?

The MCC Rock n' Roll Dinner Revue is only a day away and I'm dreading tonight's dress rehearsal. This group is one of the finest examples of mediocrity I've seen in ages, and that's being gracious. There are a few glimmers of talent and skill, and a few examples of the complete lack thereof, and everyone in between is neither gifted nor awful, but merely taking up space and making back-ground noise.

The other bassist still doesn't know all his tunes yet, and I inherited a Beach Boys (hence the blog title) song from him which I had to put effort into learning. I'm a little concerned that this situation will arise again tonight at the dress. Hopefully he won't screw the pooch on any songs that I can't sight read, or things will get ugly. This lack of foresight on the director's part is causing quite the inconvenience for me, but I suppose I can take solace in the fact that he knows he can throw music at me at the last minute and I'll be able to play it. He's referred to me as his "safety net," which is good insomuch as the confidence vote goes, but it'd be swell if I were the go-to bassist for this instead of the reliable backup.

If nothing else I get a bunch of music out of this, since I'm either not giving the bass charts back or else I'm copying all the ones I don't already have.

No comments: