Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Go Kerry go

:: John Kerry for President - Kerry Offers a �New Bargain for America's Children and Teachers� :: I was happy to read this little tid-bit from John Kerry's website. Being a future educator (even if it's not in one of the "three R's" subjects) I'm usually over-joyed to see a politician showing support for teachers, and providing an actual well-thought plan to improve things. He suggests rewarding teachers for a job well-done, pay commensurate with the importance of an education job, and asks only that teachers be highly qualified to teach in return. Sounds fair to me. Then again I'm a New Yorker, and we have about the toughest requirements in the union to get a teaching certification.

Check out Kerry's plan and contrast it with Bush's... ask yourself what's better for America's children and teachers... a system that encourages achievement with bonuses and acknowledgement, or a punitive system that punishes teachers and school districts, frequently for variables beyond a teacher's control. Hmm.

No comments: