TJ's and my furniture lies strewn about the new apartment on Moore Ave, Fredonia. Couches and chairs criss-cross the living room in a disorganized jumble. Boxes and plastic 18-gallon totes are stacked up against the walls. In the middle/dining room a filing cabinet lies on its back, the drawers several feet away, spilling over with music. My newly-acquired office desk stands on its side, five feet high, its drawers taped shut, contents likely dumped everywhere within. Boxes with carefully-wrapped glassware litter the kitchen. Two grills inhabit the back room. TJ's bedroom is a pile of black garbage bags stuffed with clothes, and his bed tipped on it's side, leaning on a wall. The only room that's remotely set up is my bedroom, where we set up the bed and dresser in the places they're actually staying. Laundry baskets of clothes lie on the floor waiting to be put away.
This is the scene that awaits TJ and I when we return to Fredonia Sunday morning. What fun that'll be. Heidi brought her camera on this adventure and took a load of pictures, which she'll undoubtedly post on her blog when she next updates it.
As far as the moving process in concerned, it went as smoothly as can be expected given the lack of organization and scheduling. Heidi and I loaded the truck here at my parents beginning around 11:30, and broke for a good Bill Gray's lunch in Seabreeze around 2:00-ish. We wrapped up and headed to TJ's to begin the arduous task of moving his mountain of furniture and possessions into the truck. This was a 24' truck and it was packed to the gills, mostly with his shit. He just owns way too much stuff for an apartment-dwelling bachelor. We hit the road around 5:00, and headed for his mom's house in East Pembroke, via country back roads featuring New York's most odoriferous farms. We took about an hour at his mom's house to unload the piano, a couple boxes and assorted chatting. We then headed off for Fredonia finally, and arrived about 9:00 to meet with landlord Rod (who's got a fantastic porn name!) for keys, a quick walk-through, and rent discussions.
We decided that food was in order before unloading the truck, so we piled in mom's Subaru Forrester and headed to "downtown" Fredonia to eat at our favorite Italian place, but the bastards weren't open! We settled for Applebees, since we badly needed beers with our food. After dinner we got yet more beer and returned to the new pad to empty the truck. Exhausted as we already were, we began to haul stuff out at 11:30 pm. We had the truck empty by 1:30, incredibly. TJ and John watched a movie for awhile, but neither Heidi or I could keep our eyes open for another second.
The drive home was quiet and subdued, given how ridiculously tired all four of us were. We arrived back in town behind schedule, and poor Heidi still had to change and shower (since there was no hot water at the new place) and go to work. TJ and I put in the rest of the evening shoring up his old apartment and having our final beers there.
That's all the news regarding the move that I see as fit to print. All that remains is two short days and nights here before I head back to Fredonia to begin my studies. It begins Sunday with two proficiency exams (voice and piano class). Monday I have an audition to determine which band I'm placing into, and Monday evening there's a pizza party with the trombone/euphonium studio.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go make the most of these two days and nights left before school!
Friday, August 20, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank goodness THAT'S over with. I detest moving.
Post a Comment