Wednesday, August 04, 2004

The Doctor will see you now

I just returned from a brief visit to my general physician, and am enjoying some time on the patio in the midst of a brief dry slot in a massive area of rain across western NY. I don't expect it to last much longer. The visit to the doc was interesting, and I had some issues addressed, which was nice. I originally only went there last week to drop off immunization records for him to fill out for Fred State, but he needed to give me a physical as per the paperwork, apparently. We discussed the fact that quitting smoking would improve my asthma dramatically, that my blood pressure is way up, and I discussed anxiety with him a little bit. I'm finally making a push to do something about it, which is what I should've done years ago. Better late than never, huh? Well, he didn't make too big a fuss over my blood pressure, as it may be a result of the anxiety, and he gave me samples of some drugs... two daily-use inhalers, and 6 weeks worth of Lexapro, an anti-depressant often used for treating anxiety. Some of the side-effects may not be so hot, but it's got to be better than Prozac, which I took about 10 years ago and was just worthless. I'm going to look into getting some behavior therapy at Fred, as most schools have good counseling departments. Hopefully this will be the beginning of managing my stress better, and the beginning of a more balanced, satisfying existence. Man, that'd be great.

I also got the pleasure of receiving a skin test for tuberculosis. So we all get to wait with baited breath until Friday to see if I'm dying of consumption. Huzzah.


2 comments:

battlemaiden said...

Yay! Way to take the initiative!

Ryan said...

Hey, thanks! I'm proud of me too! :o)