Monday, October 21, 2002

What a weekend it's been. Ouch. Friday I went to Jamestown to sub with South Central, and Saturday I had to work 2 shifts, beginning with break-fast. It was non-stop, although not necessarily non-stop fun & hijinx.

The gig went really well, although I arrived skeptical. I had no problems finding my way to Jamestown, although I got lost once I got there, trying to find the bar. Using my wits and keen sense of direction, I got back on track & found the bar quickly, which turned out to be a local, country-looking joint. I was expecting a scene from the Blues Brothers, complete with the chicken wire in front of the stage. And as John quoted, "we play both kinds of music: country and western!" Once we got playing, the audience was surprsingly attentive, although we begain with some Southern rock & blues covers, which helped. As the locals got bored & left, a new, younger crowd filtered in. They seemed to like original stuff, and were of the jam-band scene, which was great to see. Right before the end of our first set, Julia & Matt arrived to check it out, and I was glad to see some friendly faces there. On our break we all jawed & caught up on stuff. If I wind up at Fredonia, it'll be great to be down the road from Julia & Matt for sure. Our second set was at least as good as the first. We called tunes that none of the three of us had played since I was actually in South Central, and we pulled it off too... we all actually remembered them! The chemistry was great & I can't believe what we pulled out of our asses to play up till 2:00. As we packed up, the bar made us breakfast... egss, homefries, toast & coffee at 3 am. And the $100 I made was nice too. We hit the road by 3:30, and I broke off to gas up and I got a pint o' coffee for the trip back. It was cool and rainy, and I put classical CDs in for the ride. I was passing 18-wheelers with road-spray covering the wind-shield, and high winds buffeting the car to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture... quite exciting.

I rolled back into town around 6:00. It was still dark, and I had my gear back in the apartment at 6:15, and then I washed my stinky feet, brushed my teeth, and got into my work uniform. I arrived at the Hyatt at 6:45, ready to start my workday. Can you believe it? I still can't. The breakfast was doubly irritating, since I not only didn't want to be there & was tired, but we were serving cranky old ladies. I somehow struggled through breakfast, but then fell asleep in the cafeteria, my head on the table. I also managed to survive lunch, although I'm not quite sure how. By 2:30 I was truly suffering, and I don't know how I managed to stay awake, but when those old bastards left the room I charged in there and cleared tables like a man possessed. It took mere minutes, and then my boss was kind enough to let me go. I stumbled to my car and came home, where I collapsed and slept, after 28.5 hours. Not fun; I do not recommend it, frankly.

Today I accompanied Kirk to Mendon Ponds Park for hiking and bird-watching. It was fun, and we brain-stormed about camping alot, as we both want to do some winter camping if we can get the right gear for me. And it was a unique experience having chickadees eating out of my hand too.

I went over to a friend's to do laundry tonight, as I was out of essentials, like drawers and socks. Hell, I had almost no clean clothes. I wound up hanging out and watching some French horror movie till 2:40, as if I needed to be up this late again. So I'm tired, and am going to bed. I have to get up & do shit at school in the morning. I could discuss my women situation, but my fatigue is only adding to my frustration, so we'll just say that it's maintaining a pathetic status quo & leave it at that. If perpetually single is the way to go, I seem to have it made.

No comments: