Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Drinking on the job, a short play, and laundry woes, all at Happy Hyatt

Good event tonight. Went smoothly, and we got out at an ok hour. The only kink in the night was my partner was a fuckin' tool who thought he knew everything about banquets & I had to put him in his place. It went like this:
Me: Brian, how old are you?
tool: 20, why?
me: 20, huh? Well I served my first banquet when you were 14. Just so we're on the same page here, I do know what I'm doing, okay?
tool: oh ok, sorry.

I got soup all over my good Lands End pants too... what a pisser. I was planning on heading to mom & dad's after school to do some quick laundry & get my work-issued pants hemmed, but I checked the schedule, and I have to be into "Happy Hyatt," as a jaded co-worker calls it, at 3:00. Seeing as how I get out of class at 2:00, I can't see any of this happening.

Also featured tonight at work was Dave, the aforementioned jaded co-worker. At one point I pointed out a sign which read "Never Say NO," just to see his reaction, and he corrected it with marker to read "Always Say NO, thank you for asking." While serving with that whirling dervish Brian, I came back to the hallway trying to fill coffee pots as quick as I could, and Dave reminded me that "speed kills," and to slow down. He also suggested I grab a dinner while I was back there & hide it so I'd still have one when we broke to eat. During dinner he added a little something to my pepsi from the liquor cage, which was a bonus. After dinner we had considerable time left to whistle-dick away, so I also followed his lead & non-chalantly ducked into the walk-in cooler and furtively dumped a beer into my coffee mug. I then left the cooler & drank my beer in plain sight of everyone. I love working at places like this. It's fairly well-organized, yet leniant & has low crew morale. Since I have no vested interest career-wise, it's the perfect job while I ride through MCC. Huzzah for that.

Tomorrow I'm back to the tues / thurs school schedule with the added factor of work thrown in... I have to dodge home and drop off the bass first, and then I have to bike to work (again) because I have absolutely no money for parking. Not even change for the meter. How disgusting.

No comments: