Ryan: We slept in today (late by Heidi's standards!) and got off to a lovely, relaxing start. We sipped coffee and sat on the beach, occasionally taking a long-range peek around the bay with a spotting scope. I sighted in sailboats, fishing boats, and scads of different water-fowl, flying here and there. The waters were a glassy calm, and when you looked at the horizon through the scope you could see it shimmering from the sunlight and heat. It was a truly wonderful, peaceful morning.We got ourselves ready and dodged into the village of Sackets Harbor to find post-cards and fill up a 2 liter growler of suds. We picked SHBC's Steam Ale (I forget the full title, named after someone or some place). We high-tailed it back here to get our water-wear on and go jump in the lake. After some swimming, giggling, splashing and other aquatic tom-foolery, we spent another hour or more sunning ourselves in the warm summer sun.
I prepared us a nice pasta dinner, comprised of some penne and sweet pepper and garlic sauce. I sprinkled shredded pecorino romano cheese and ground black pepper on top. Heidi made our salads, which had a roasted red pepper dressing, and we had rosemary and olive oil bread with it. Truly delicious! From there we hit up the brew pub again, and availed ourselves to their dollar pint night. This time I grabbed a Railroad Red ale, and Heidi chose their fine St. Stephen's Stout.
We got back here in time for some tea and the remains of the sunset out the west-facing windows.
Heidi: Ol' MacDonald has a farm, and it's in Sackets Harbor. I'm not kidding! But I'll get to that in a second.I can't believe how well I slept last night. Usually, the first night in a strange bed, strange place, with strange noises causes a bout of insomnia for me, but that was not the case last night. I was actually up at 6am (thinking it was 7). I paused a moment to look out the windows on my way back to the bedroom from the bathroom, and thought, "I could go swimming right now." But I didn't. Instead, I re-joined Ryan in bed for some more dozing and dreams, including one about owning our own brew pub, where on draught we would have one "Warbler Ale". (We were reading the National Audubon Society's guide to Northeastern birds.)
I forgot to get some cards for a few upcoming family birthdays, so thinking that postcards would suffice for that purpose, we headed into town. I can't remember the last time I sent anyone a postcard. Ryan reminded me that one should always send a postcard when one is traveling (did he have Litvinas for AP English, too? Julia???). So, we both sent our parents cards as well.
One of the reasons I wanted to go into town was to pick up some fresh veggies and fruits, which we did. At Old MacDonald's. There really is a farm here with that name, and yes, I sang the song, E-I-E-I-O. Ryan did too, the old softy. It's like a petting zoo on steroids, There were sheep and goats and tours and pony rides and all kinds of things for KIDS. We weighed too much to ride the ponies, but they had a very adorable German short-hair Pointer puppy that I fawned all over. So cute!
We picked up some homegrown sweet-corn, tomatoes, zucchini, and a cucumber, but there wasn't any fruit, so I guess that will be on the agenda for tomorrow. I'm dying for peaches, I think. Aren't they in season yet?
Ryan foot-note: the zucchini we got were so big you could play base-ball with em!
After a quick hummus and pita snack, it was on with the bathing suits and into the water. Now THAT was what I had been waiting for for months. The water is like bath-water....warm, warm, warm. Except when the breeze is strong and my towel is WAAAAAAAY over there.
There was no way we could pass up $1 pint night, so we went back into town. The beer was yummy, the conversation and joke-telling nearly side-splitting. I think, though, the walk around the actual Sackets Harbor at dusk was more romantic than anything else. Oh, yeah, and the hand-holding, too. That was all right. :o)Tomorrow...more tanning on the beach and swimming. Saturday... Harborfest in Oswego, and Sunday...a band concert in the Village.
Now, I do believe it is past our bed-time.
2 comments:
Oh my gosh...your holiday sounds so dreamy. During our last holiday on the northern California coast it was impossible for me to sleep. Our bed was only double size and it titled in towards the middle. Every hour I would wake up to my husband's elbow or shoulder or worse, bad breath! It was tough not getting enough sleep.
You two are not only enjoying cheap beer, good food, fresh veggies, warm weather and water to play in, but a good night's sleep too. Enjoy!
Dreamy's a decent word for it. It's been a wonderful week, sun-burn and all! Part of me is sad it's over, but it's definitely time to go home. If we never left I suppose it wouldn't be a vacation anymore... (unless we had the puppy here, then it'd be ok!)
Post a Comment