I have appropriated a Netgear wireless router and our Road Runner internet is beaming to everywhere within a few hundred feet of a-fore-mentioned device. So I'm lounging on the back deck with a cup o' coffee and my iBook, surfing, IMing and blogging to my heart's content. Ahh, it's great to have the wireless back, and at full signal strength this summer! Alas, I'll have to give this particular router back near the end of August, as it's TJ's. But the computer stores seem to have many routers on sale, and most of them have an awfully attractive rebate, lowering the cost of it to anywhere between $20 and free. Not too shabby.
In other news, I'm taking a close look at the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, which I discovered the other day. It's a uniformed, volunteer civilian organization which is closely linked to the regular Coast Guard. The CGAux helps out with many functions not military or law enforcement in nature. They either use a qualified private boat or sometimes will join the CG regulars on one of their boats once they've been trained. The Aux gets alot of training the CG gets, and for free... seamanship, boat crew, coxswain, communications, weather, search and rescue, aviation, and more. Sweet stuff. They do a ton of boater safety stuff too, teaching boating courses and inspecting boats and the like. And there's no basic. I'd have to pay for the uniforms, but at they look almost exactly like CG/Navy Officers' uniforms. (the shoulder boards and trim are silver instead of gold). So we shall see. As interested as I am, Heidi reminded me to not let any of my avocational interests interfere with my school work, so I'd have to keep my participation in the Aux to a minimum for awhile, but that's fine, should I join. After all, it's a volunteer outfit, I can be as active or inactive as I please! I figure I could go to the monthly meetings and an occasional training session during the school year, and look into doing some of the more time-consuming training next summer.
More on this later... it's getting far too hot & humid out here to continue. I think I'm stuck to the chair though...
Monday, July 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment