Heidi: Woke up this morning to... clouds and sprinkles!!! It took forever for the sun to come out. I refused, however, to drink coffee anywhere other than on the beach, so that is what we did. Eventually the sun warmed things up, but the brisk breezes continued throughout the day.It was a rather lazy morning, mostly. I read while Ryan cooked us a yummy eggs and bacon and potatoes brunch (I'll let him describe it.) We dressed and were ready to head into town by 2-ish. Off to Madison Barracks we went...
Sackets Harbor is a historically important area. Home to a decisive War of 1812 battle, the village and surrounding areas provide so much character and history, it can be overwhelming at times. There are dozens of old buildings on the grounds of Madison Barracks, most of which
are in need of serious restoration. They are, after all, nearly 200 years old. One is particularly striking - the Stone Hospital, the first Army hospital in the entire country, is dilapidated beyond recognition. But fear not. There is a local and state-wide campaign underway to save this remarkable building.We poked around the market a while before heading back to the cottage. Our swimsuits were on faster than you can say "Chappaquiddick" and we were back on the beach, soaking up the sun. A massive clump of clouds rolled in, and for a while I was freezing in the wind. We waited it out, though, and in no time, the sun was back. The breeze persisted, however, so I was too chicken to go in the water further than up to my waist. That wind was biting the farther out in the lake we got.
We were on the beach for hours, so it was a good thing we had some pasta leftover from last night. Dinner was heated quickly so we could go back outside and watch the sunset. Gorgeous...
Also, I'd like to make a few other notes before Ryan takes over:
1. We did NOT plan our "matching" outfits today.
2. I have usurped the role of UNO Card Shark King. Or Queen, as the case may be. I rule.
Ryan: It was a rather gray start to the day to be sure. I ground and made our eight cups of Starbucks coffee, and we made our way down to the beach. When it became time to start break-fast, I went to work with what we had, which lacked peppers and onions. I began with Weggies reduced sodium bacon, which I cooked slowly in a cast-iron pan. While this went on, I chopped 2 red spuds and nuked them in a bowl with some olive oil and BBQ seasoning. After the bacon was finished, I tossed the potatoes in the skillet to brown slightly. I added some garlic of the last minute or less. I removed those and the bacon to a warm oven. I mixed five eggs with organic onion powder, Red Hot, and chipotle Tabasco and whipped them furiously. They were scrambled in the same iron pan. I served it all up with a garlic parmesan bagel and cream cheese, and I sprinkled some shredded romano on the eggs. Damned yummy.After breakfast, we went to Madison Barracks as Heidi mentioned. It's tough to not be struck by the magnitude of history there. It became the and U.S. Army and Navy head-quarters for the northern frontier during the War of 1812. There were important ship-yards here, and the geography and cleverly designed defenses kept the British from discovering them. They were keen on finding and destroying these yards, but the American out-foxed them. After that war, it became a U.S. Army base, and home to the first permanent Army hospital, which Heidi also mentioned. Among the residents of the Barracks was 1LT (later CPT) Ulysses Grant, I believe... which is the local connection that enabled SHBC to name one of its beers after him. On the way back to the car, we walked across the parade grounds, over which regiments of soldiers and officers-in-training marches almost a hundred years ago. The weight of the history was present, and the foot-steps of men long gone mingled with mine.
From here we made a pit-stop at the local IGA market and picked up some Vidalia onions. Despite our quick-change into swim-wear, the sun shied away from us, and we were dealt clouds and a chilly breeze for a good hour or so. After the sun returned we bathed in its warmth for another hour or so, and sipped some SHBC Steam Ale, while reading and talking. And I fell asleep for a bit too. We made a couple go's at swimming but the chilly water and the breeze discouraged us, and we gave up. Heidi nuked dinner, which was left-over pasta from last night. I added some melted mozzarella and romano cheeses to it to spruce it up a little. After dinner we played Uno, which I started off pretty well, and briefly rallied, but I was soundly thrashed by my nemesis. I've finally found someone whose Uno skills rival mine.
And as Heidi mentioned, the sunset was breath-taking tonight...

Tomorrow holds break-fast at Tin Pan, and the Oswego Harborfest... pictures sure to come soon!
1 comment:
Ok, that is just too cool that Ryan is the chef of the couple!
I like all the photos and descriptions. I feel like I'm there with y'all. I'm having a lot of fun! :) Although it feels like I drank one too many pints of ale!
Post a Comment