Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I have been re-banded!

Excellent news! I played in an audition-type situation last evening, and it was a positive experience. A week ago, last Tuesday, I played for a couple of 40-something rockers (mentioned here), and it wasn't altogether thrilling. Not the end of the world, but there were a couple shaky points. Because of the lack of anonymity online, I have to forego further descriptions.

Last night, however, was a lot of fun. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, as I got a call earlier in the day from the fellow who put out the ad on the RMC website. He told me that he hadn't heard confirmation from the drummer and offered to cancel the audition if I preferred. After some deliberation I elected to go anyway. (I don't need no stinking drummer to keep time!) Turned out to be a good decision! The guys preferred auditioning without a drummer, and were more than satisfied with my skills and demeanor, offering me the bass seat without much deliberation! I returned from the commode after the session to an invitation to join them and a flattering degree of praise. Nice. I accepted their invitation and we'll begin auditioning drummers next week; we have two lined up.

They're great guys as far as I can tell thus far... the guitarist, Jim, is married with two fairly young kids, and is a mechanical engineer. He's in his upper 30s, I think, and a very skilled and capable instrumentalist. And he built one of his guitars from parts (the Eb one)... nice touch! The singer, Kevin, is younger... upper 20s I'd guess, and is getting married next month. He's a nice, somewhat quiet, gentle kind of soul, and has a pretty fair voice, and was the lead singer in a now-defunct band which I'd heard of but never actually heard the music of. His rhythm guitar skills aren't totally happening, but he's not completely lacking them either.

I just noticed the time! Egads! I have to shower and run to a banquet job, so I'll have to finish telling this later. There's more for me to blather on about, such as details of last night's playing, and how I think they have a musical/business vision that can work... I think we've got the potential to get lots of work around the area.

But apparently you'll have to wait till later for that!

No comments: