Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Waiting Game... is over!

Just after I typed a post about waiting for my new horn... it arrived! Actually, I was on the throne, when I heard the front door open. I had left a note for the UPS guy/girl asking them to just leave it inside for me. So I rushed out to see a gargantuan box, which turned out not only to have a new bass trombone in it, but a generous amount of styrofoam peanuts. I hungrily dragged the case out of the box, spilling several pounds of peanuts on the floor. For some reason I cleaned up the mess before I opened the case... I guess I wanted to savour the anticipation a few minutes more. While waiting for this horn, it was the perfect, ideal bass trombone in my mind, and now that I have it, any limitations it may have can become apparent. However, upon opening the massive case (which more resembles a euphonium case... it's friggin huge!), I saw a gorgeous trombone. Shiny yellow brass with a smooth, gentle open wrap of the valve sections. It came with three lead-pipes, and I don't have a clue which one is the medium of the three, which is the one I've been advised to use. The German-made 1 1/2G mouthpiece is excellent too, and I can't really tell of any inferiority to a Bach mouthpiece.

Since I'm not very familiar with what the flat-G valve does, and I'm very out of practice with valves in combination, I'll be showering and racing off to a Mason practice room to play around with it (and show it off, of course!) before band at 1:00. I hope this new horn gives me a nice kick-start to playing a ton, which is what I ought to be doing. I suspect it will, it's a knock-out.

I can't wait a minute longer, so I'm off to do that. I'll be posting more about the Getzen as I become friendlier with her. And we'll have to work on a name too, of course.

Huzzah for a new bass 'bone!

UPS tracking info:

Status:                   In Transit         
        Scheduled Delivery:                 Feb 22, 2005         
                                
        Shipped to:                 FREDONIA, NY, US         
        Shipped or Billed on:                 Feb 15, 2005         
        

                        
        Tracking Number:                 1Z 3Y3 20A 03 4056 523 5         
        Service Type:                 GROUND         
        Weight:                 28.00 Lbs         


Package Progress:
                                
Feb 22, 2005
10:29 A.M. - DUNKIRK, NY, US - DELIVERY
4:30 A.M., DUNKIRK, NY, US - OUT FOR DELIVERY
4:03 A.M. - DUNKIRK, NY, US - ARRIVAL SCAN
2:37 A.M. - BUFFALO, NY, US - DEPARTURE SCAN
Feb 21, 2005
6:56 P.M. - BUFFALO, NY, US- ARRIVAL SCAN
Feb 16, 2005
5:01 A.M.- CERRITOS, CA, US - DEPARTURE SCAN
Feb 15, 2005
10:36 P.M. - CERRITOS, CA, US - ARRIVAL SCAN
9:43 P.M. - SYLMAR, CA, US - DEPARTURE SCAN
9:01 P.M. - SYLMAR, CA, US - ORIGIN SCAN
8:08 P.M. - US - BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
Tracking results provided by UPS: Feb 22, 2005 11:47 A.M. Eastern Time (USA)


7 comments:

battlemaiden said...

Oh jeez, you're going to name it? *rolls eyes* Guys and the naming. I don't get it.

Ryan said...

I'll have you know that a couple girls in the studio said I had to name it too. So it's not just guys. :op And just what is it guys name that you're refering to... ?

Anonymous said...

Now that you've received it, smelt it into a small ingot. Thanks,

Yr. Totl. Rulr.

Ryan said...

You fool! This horn is comprised of so much brass that it would not be remotely possible to smelt it into anything smaller than a rather substantial ingot!

What's more is I categorically refuse to smelt it down, or in any other manner destroy it for you pleasure. It is a tool of great artistic use and shall be utilized as such.

Now bugger off!

Anonymous said...

It is a tool of great artistic use and shall be utilized as such.Mappelthorpe will no doubt be proud of his prodigy!

Anonymous said...

Hi hope you are well. Just wondered if your 70h is now for sale...? Sorry for the intrusion on your blog but these bones are quite rare, and you have to be very creative and nosey to track one down. You can contact me on electricseacat@hotmail.com

Yours,
Chris

Anonymous said...

Sorry for another unsolicited intrusion. I have some trombone gear/geek questions. I came upon your writings re: getting a Getzen 1052FD bass trombone to replace your Conn 70H , which happens to be exactly what I'm thinking of doing (though I love the 70H sound). What are your thoughts on the Getzen after living with it for awhile? I didn't see any updates yet. Also, how was the buying experience with Ferguson Music?

Thanks.
--Bob Franklin, sbfranklin@bigfoot.com