Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The horn is in!

Victory is mine! Today I heard from Ferguson Music in L.A., and there's a horn pretty close to what I wanted in. So I chatted with Noah Gladstone there, and we agreed upon a Getzen 1052FD bass trombone. It's got a yellow brass bell as opposed to the rose bell which I'd hoped for, but it looks like the tuning slide and valve plumbing are red brass, so it could all work out. And he said there are a few cosmetic scratches on the outer slide tubes, so he chopped off another hundred bucks. He also said that I could try the horn out for awhile and if it's not what I want, I can ship it back for a different one. Not too shabby a deal.

So in less than a week I'll have this bass 'bone and I can finally throw that tin-can with a slide Conn 70H back into storage and be done with it. Classic or no, it sounds nasty and it's absolute hell to hold for more than five minutes. Heavier than ten dead dogs, and all towards the front. I pretty much can't stand playing it much longer. And luckily, I don't have to!

The count-down is on for monday, when it's due to arrive. I'm kind of hoping it gets here sooner, but I won't hold my breath.

Huzzah for a new horn!

9:28:37 PM... dress rehearsal for tomorrow night's concert wasn't as long as I'd feared. Professor Stewart was stern, and we had to spend some time on some things, but we were out of King by around 8:30. Not too shabby. Since I don't have theory in the morning I needn't worry much about setting an alarm and getting up before 9. Man do I love it when faculty leaves town.

No comments: