Sunday, February 06, 2005

B.A. spells Relief

I feel a huge load off my shoulders after Friday. I dropped foundations 2 and added Music Copyright, Piano 118 and concert band (since I hadn't technically done that yet). I feel a lot better about my decision to back off to a B.A. in music instead of music ed at this point. I talked things over (finally) with my studio teacher, who acknowledged that I struggle with several fundamental skills, like reading and rhythm. Those deficiencies make me nervous about my ability to lead a classroom anytime soon. Aside from being a good stepping-stone to a graduate degree, the B.A. will allow me to focus on my musicianship and trombone playing, where I can probably bring these weaknesses up to par over the next couple years. So I've really only shaved a year off my graduation date, but I feel less misgivings and less pressure. I'll see where the next few years brings me, but it's far from out of the question that I'll go for my certification with a masters in music ed after I get out of Fredonia. In the meantime, I feel more comfortable putting the bulk of my effort into developing my playing and skills.

As a nice side-effect of this, I'm registered for 14 credits, but I have a humane schedule... wednesdays and fridays are practically free of classes! I have 2 on wednesday and only 1 on fridays... I could leave for home at 10 AM on fridays!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm sorry but education is more important than sex. And you know that's your reason for keeping your Fridays free to "leave for home at 10AM" and for not taking summer courses because it takes away from you being able to have sex. The world doesn't care if you're getting laid. It's obvious your penis is distracting you from getting a college degree. Sad. Very sad. Stop thinking with your dick and fucking grow up and get a life.

Ryan said...

Dude, the internet is the great haven for anonymity. I find it difficult to believe you can really analyze my reasoning if I don't know who you are, or how well you know me. If you're gleaning this from reading my blog and we've never met, then you can just fuck off, since you don't know me and you have no idea how valid my reasoning is or is not. If you do know me, email me so we can discuss this intellegently like the friends or acquaintences that we may or may not be.

If I say that Fredonia doesn't offer music courses in the summer, then they don't fucking do it. If I say I have to maintain a 12 credit hour load during a semester or I'll lose financial aid, then guess what? It's fucking true.

It irritates me that you're hiding behind a shield of anonymity, hence my vehemence. If I know you then I'm willing to apologize. But if you're just someone throwing their two cents in (and rudely as well), and I don't know you, then keep it to your goddamn self.

Ryan said...

And one more thing: about the world not caring if I get laid: Fine... if you don't care, why did you read it? Feel free to never come back if you don't care. I'd be thrilled! Also, I didn't create this as a free exchange of ideas. It's my blog about my experiences and thoughts from my point of view. If you don't like it, don't read it.

And eat a bag of shit, too.

Julia said...

Holy cow! Where do you find these people? Rather.. how do they find you? LOL

Ryan said...

Thanks for the support, guys. And yes, I suspect you are about the only three (you two and Heidi) who tune in regularly, except for the odd (and offensive) lurker.

Anonymous said...

What's irritating is that you're completely missing the point. You're 31, still getting government money to go to school and yet you STILL don't have your bachelor's degree and it's obvious that school places a distant 2nd or 3rd to whatever else you deem important in life.

Ryan said...

At least you're more civil this time. I appreciate civil discourse as opposed to anonymous insults and profanities.

Again, since you don't know me (as far as I can tell) then you don't really know what my priorities are. You don't know much about my history. You certianly can't accurately glean my rationale for switching majors. It's not to get laid, either. I'm willing to discuss this with you as long as you're willing to not be a dick about what you think.

And as far as the getting laid part goes, I'n what's called a "relationship." It's a hell of a lot more than just sex. The person I go home to every weekend is the most important person in my life, and so yes, it's difficult to juxtapose an academic life at school with an involved personal life back at home. The priorities of a 31 year-old are different than that of an 18 year-old undergrad, and it can be a challenege to balance them. Give a whirl at understanding things from someone else's point of view.

battlemaiden said...

To the Anonymous Commenter:

Don't bother trying to protect us anymore, if we know you. And yes, I have my suspicions.

I take offense to the sexual references since I am the other involved party. Plain and simple, our intimate life does not need to be justified to the likes of you, nor is it any of your business.

I fully support Ryan in whatever he decides to do with his education, including changing his major. Believe me, he doesn't hear anything worse about getting his act together than what he hears from me. Yes, everyone needs a reality check now and again, but really...judge not lest ye be judged.

No one's perfect, although I know plenty of people who think they are. Instead of constantly pointing out other peoples' mistakes, shortcomings, character flaws, and opinions or courses in life with which we don't agree, we can better spend that time trying to improve our own imperfections.

Everyone has a different pathway through life. Just because one doesn't agree with something doesn't mean it's wrong. So, Anonymous, perhaps you could achieve some of your own personal insight by learning to listen to others without judging.