Christmas Eve has quickly descended upon us, and with it the zenith of the holiday season. Stores are closing early, and the masses head to church services, many for one of the only two or three times a year they go. Christmas has become a partially secular holiday, it seems. It's a social holiday, for celebrating family and friends to many. I've recently began to question why I celebrate Christmas, seeing as how it's origin and spirit remains obviously a Christian celebration. I don't spend much time (any, really) contemplating the birth or sacrifices of Christ. It's entirely hypocritical of me, as well as many of my skeptic friends, to recognize Christmas at all. It's a family tradition around here, so it's not my place to disrupt the works in this house. Plus I get free shit, which is always helpful. But if it's devoid of the intended meaning, is it my place to assign my own meaning to it? Obviously I'm welcome to; it's a free country. But is it wrong, should I feel guilty for it? Should I care, or even be thinking about this? I suppose intellectual honesty is fairly important to me, and I know that Christmas is a holiday for Christians, not intended for the heathens like me to hijack. Perhaps I won't be celebrating it in the future, we'll have to see how things turn out in my contemplations.
On less philosophical and heavy notes, I will likely be spending part of the evening at the Summerville Grill with some old friends in town. Heidi will be busier than a cat trying to bury a turd on a marble floor tonight; she's got two services to play. So I won't likely see her at all after about 5:00. Of course I wish I could spend Christmas Eve with her (though if she wasn't working I'd likely wind up at a service with her at her family's church), but I know her job is important to her, and she enjoys her work. So anyway, it looks like an evening out with the lads for some drinks. I haven't seen a couple of these guys in at least a year, so it'll be good fun. And good beer. Huzzah!
Tomorrow I'll have alot of time on my hands, I suspect, so I'll be totally commercial and post about all the great loot I got!
With friends like this
Last night Heidi and I met up with Ben, Susan, Kirk and Christy for some cocktails at Shamrock Jack's. It seems Kirk and Christy had languished at the airport for four hours trying to straighten out their flight to Colorado, which had been post-poned due to a winter storm throughout the mid-west. They were maltreated by Delta staff at the desk, when the finally got to it, and they couldn't get another flight until tomorrow morning, which really sucks. So they needed to blow off some steam. After a couple cosmos, Christy exhibited a rarely seen (to us) drunken silliness. Susan got absolutely plastered, and we all enjoyed several very tasty beers. Heidi said upon leaving that although she loathes the cold and winter, it's friends like these that make her want to stick around here instead of move south in a couple years. I can't really argue with her, these people are the best, and we always have a fabulous time with them. (even if Heidi did forget her camera!)
We're all assembling for a New Year's celebration at Ben and Susan's pad next weekend, and that should be a blast. Heidi's bringing champagne, I'm bringing our home-brewed porter, and there should be other selections of wine and beer, as well as hopefully a variety of hors d'oeuvres and delectable treats. The only rule set by Ben is that nobody's leaving after imbibing, so I'll have to sleep next to Heidi that night. Oh no, not that! *grins*
That's it for now. So much for brevity, huh?
Friday, December 24, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment