I sit on my parents' back patio deck, soaking in some early autumn sun and warmth. It's forecast to be 80 and sunny today, so I'll gladly take it. Soon enough it will probably cool down into a traditional fall. I'm looking forward to that too, as I love each season for what it is, and fall is definitely my favourite. I love cool October days, with sunshine that brings out the explosive hues of the changing leaves. I love the crispness of the air, the scent of the leaves, the bundling up in sweaters, and the warm drinks to keep out the evening chill.
There's a trip in the offing too, about a month off. Kirk and his fiancé Christy, have invited Heidi and I up to the Shaw cottage in Sackets for a weekend get-a-way. I'm looking forward to this trip alot, it'll be a fantastic trip, weather permitting. We'll be up there by dinnertime that Friday, and head back sometime mid-Sunday. If it's not too cold, the boat will still be in, and we'll be able to enjoy some scenery around the lake and islands from the water. We'll be able to take in some great cuisine at the restaurants in Sackets, and spend the nights keeping warm by a bonfire on the beach. I can't think of a better way to spend a fall weekend but in one of my favourite parts of NY with some of my favourite people.
This post is all about my favourites, huh?
I get to take some time this weekend and reflect on school, since it's gotten off to a slow start for me, in a way. This first month hasn't seen a great amount of organization or success for me, and I need to go back on Monday ready to get it done. Far too much is at stake to let this opportunity slide. I've been having trouble getting organized, especially with time management. So I'm going to try to get my system refined while I'm home so it doesn't take any effort to stay on top of shit. This must happen, everything depends on doing well at Fred State. Everything.
I'm also thinking about what a great opportunity this is, now that I have stress-free time to think. My faculty are all great (except my conducting teacher, she's a grad assistant and not al that spectacular.), my courses are interesting and engaging, and my fellow students are talented and hard-working. An upper classman named Will has decided to give me weekly bass trombone coaching/lessons to help get me in gear for potentially taking over a bass bone chair in the spring. He's a phenomenally talented and motivated guy, and a tremendous player. I'm lucky I get to work with such people, and the next couple years may be my best opportunity to do this and learn from them, as I may not major in performance or do much playing as a grad student.
Well, it's time for me to get showered and get my practicing done. Heidi's joining me this afternoon for my house- and cat-sitting duties, and we'll enjoy making sure nothing happens to the house or cats. I picked up an A/V cable for my iBook, so we can watch some DVDs on the big tv, and we'll probably make some dinner later. Fun stuff, I tell ya!
Thursday, September 23, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment