The Old Apartment
With a couple days of rest and good sleep, I can now remark on the end of my tenure in B-18. Although I kinda did a bunch of reflecting the other week, before I left.
The final day of moving was, as to be expected, hell. I arrived to find Kirk's finacé Christy feverishly cleaning the floors and fridge. Earlier Kirk had discovered a note on our door which contained an offer to buy the piano I had worked so hard to filch. The piano I had envisioned in my apartment for almost a year. My free piano. So I sold it for $100. A friend brought a furniture dolly over and we wheeled it across the hall into a nice, albeit eccentric old lady's apartment. So long, free piano.
Then I discovered my friend's $500 Jeep mountain bike missing. Which I had been entrusted to until he decides to come reclaim it. Gone, fuckin' gone. Needless to say, this whipped me up into a frenzy and I thought I was going to keel over from a coronary. Well, first I ran into the piano lady, and knowing I scored a hundred bucks for a free piano made me feel better, and then she told me that the building's handy-man had removed the bike from the storage closet next to my apartment and I'd get it back that evening. So everything worked out perfectly.
Around 4:30 I took one last spin through the two bedroom apartment which has been my home for two years and three months. It was totally empty, every vestage of habitation and personality of its occupants had been hastily packed into boxes or thrown into the dumpster for the local vagrants to pillage. It was once again an anonymous dwelling, ready to be re-occupied, save for painting.
I dropped off my keys and parking pass, and still had over 45 minutes left before I could get the bike back, so I dropped into Salinger's for a couple Yuenglings, which further soothed the nerves. After I got home I relaxed and showered, and even got to spend the balance of the evening hanging with Heidi.
Like I said, everything turned out perfectly!
Now my time will be spent job-hunting (I have an interview Wednesday with Adecco temps), and cleaning, and organizing my possessions. I expect to rid myself of almost fully half of them in my efforts to organize my existence. Today we begin with kitchen stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment