Saturday, December 21, 2002

Composition class and the night of drunken hedonism

I went into school for possibly the last time till january 21st. There was a 10:00 meeting about a non-credit composition class, but it turned out to be our first class. It was great, and although I might be in a bit over my head, I think I'll learn alot. The teacher's great & very down to earth. We listened to some good examples which he used to point out composition techniques. He asked me to pick 3 random notes, which turned out to be G, D, and F#, and he spent some time showing us how many different ways there were to restate that short, 3-note idea, and stressed that we should get as much mileage out of an idea as possible with these techniques. Our first assignment is to compose a 24 measure piece for a solo woodwind instrument. At the end of next semester we're going to put on a little showcase concert, and all our compositions will be performed. Damn. I guess I'll be able to compose by the end of the spring... how about that?

While at school, I found my piano teacher there, and discovered she was halfway through grading for the term. Naturally I asked her for mine, and it turns out I got a 74. Not excellent, but a hell of a lot better than failing. However, I won't be able to skate by in the future like I did this fall in piano. I really should be setting the bar higher & gunning for at least a 3.5 GPA anyways. It's about time I took my studies seriously, don't you think?

Also at school was Tatiana, for a meeting as well. After milling around school & taking care of some business about the music department's New York City trip this spring, we split to run some errands. We got her an oil change, then just kind of drove around Pittsford. We dropped in to visit my friend Mike, who manages a tuxedo store in a plaza there. We also checked out an Irish import shop & a music store. We parted ways around 5:00 so she could go home to take care of their horses. Around 9:00 she came back so we could spend the last evening together for about a week. She's off to a youth conference in Ohio for her church till the 26th. It's going to be an excruciatingly long 6 or 7 days for sure. I didn't see this attatchment thing coming, even when I knew I was trying to pick her up a month ago. Surprisingly to me, I'm having trouble recalling having a connection with someone as strong as this. It's definitely a happy time for Griff... let's hope things keep going my way, particularly with this girl... she's a keeper for sure.

Once again, there are throngs of drunken assholes spilling out of the bars onto Alexander St., and simply not enough speeding garbage trucks this time of night to run them all down. I'm going to ask for some kind of anti-personnel weaponry for christmas... like napalm or some claymore mines.

Speaking of drunken assholes, I went out with some guys last night to celebrate my successful completion of the fall term. I was joined by Kirk, Filer, Chris, and his brother Bernie. We descended upon Acme Bar & Pizza around 10:00, and began to imbibe. The beer pitchers were replenished frequently, and my glass was never empty for long. I even had a big slice of greasy pizza, and smoked way too many of Filer or Chris' cancer rods. Our behaviour deteriorated and eventually we were engaging in grade school kinds of hijinks, such as swatting each other in the nuts when least expected. And when you're caked it takes awhile for you to catch on to about anything. It took getting smacked in the cock a couple times for me to get the hint & eventually I established a defensive posture, with my hand near or hovering over my stones.

In this condition we stumbled out of Acme in order to go across the street to play foos-ball. Upon leaving we were accosted by some filthy, dead-beat pan-handler, who asked us for change, and without hesitation, but with a laugh Kirk informed him we'd spent it all on beer. Somehow we managed to navigate our way across Monroe Ave without being run over, and played a little foos-ball before being just plain loud, drunk & disorderly. I'm surprised we weren't thrown out, except there were five of us. We launched a nerf-style foot-ball at each other a la dodgeball (I still have no idea where in the hell the football came from), threw popcorn at each other, yelled alot, fell down on the floor (specifically Chris), and spilled some beer. And tried to swat each other in the groin while defending your own.

After this gross display of hedonistic revelry, we stumbled around Monroe Ave. for a few minutes, again being noisy and obnoxious. It was raining and we were completely blitzed and didn't care. We parted ways, with Filer & Chris heading home, and Kirk, Bernie & I went back towards Alexander. Somehow Kirk managed to sweet-talk Bernie into giving him money to buy a dozen donuts. Donuts are a particular fixation for Kirk. I don't blame him, I'm becoming addicted too, but to Tim Horton's, not Dunkin' Donuts. Anyways, we ate our donuts, and I actually made more food still (ravioli) back at ol' B-18, and eventually we all passed out, and Kirk had to cart Bernie back home to his probably infuriated wife at 5:00 am. I can't say I'd want to go home to her either.

I don't go out and get myself plastered three sheets to the wind too often anymore, which is probably why it seems so much more ridiculous & amusing when I actually do go do it.

No comments: