Sunday, November 30, 2003

Another week-in-summary. If it's too boring, you can go to hell!

I'm so tired I'm not even sure where to begin. See what happens when I don't post for days on end?

I just crawled in from a 10-hour shift at the Hyatt, upon the conclusion of which I lifted a bottle of cheap merlot from the wedding; god-damn it I needed a drink of some kind after that shift. So now I'm sucking said cheap merlot down and cooking up a quick late-night snack of spaghetti with garlic and olive oil sauce. Something quick and sorta light. Then again I've almost given up on fitness and resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably continue to gain weight... maybe I can hit 200 by my birthday. What an accomplishment. Just so long as I stay on track to drop dead of heart failure by 50 I'll be all set.

Tuesday brought near terror to me, as I discovered (though it was actually no surprise) that my recital solo sucked and it needed to be post-poned. The faculty was kind enough to accommodate my indolence (though I blamed it partly upon my teacher's lack of availability) and I now have until Dec. 9th to learn it sufficiently. Actually, Dec. 6th, which is when I have my Fredonia audition. So basically I have to own this solo (or at least be marginally familiar with it) in six days. Which is why I jumped at the chance to take on several work shift and then promptly jumped ship on one of them when I thought it through and realized how much work I need to do on a daily basis. For once, school trumped wallet. Damn.

Meghan started a new mall (or maul, as I spell it) job at Eastview Wednesday, so there was nary a mid-week romp in the sack... something I hope to correct this week! I did go over to her family's house in Honeoye for Thanksgiving though, since I was house-sitting. I was ready to spend the day with the cats and improvise a dinner, but she would hardly take no for an answer, so off I went. It would've been a good time except one or more of their four dogs set off my allergies, which did me in. They donated a Claritin and I later downed a shot of Wegmans brand day-quil at home, neither of which did a god-damned thing. After tolerating my constantly running nose for as long as I could, I decided to politely bow out and high-tail it home. I screwed around on the computer, playing on-line games with Meghan till about mid-night, when I gave up and called in the heavy artillery of medications: Benadryl. Twenty minutes later I was crawling up the stairs, struggling to stay awake. When I successfully reached my bed I collapsed into a coma for about eleven hours. Damn.

To back-track, sometime this week I went to Muzet... Wednesday I think, and unloaded about $35 I can't afford into trombone cleaning gadgets and a couple books. I bought a 30" metal cleaning rod, a cleaning snake, a mouthpiece brush (which doesn't appear on the receipt... not bad!), Blume 36 Studies, and Remington's Warm-up Studies. The Blume will be handy once school is over in a couple weeks, but the Remington is handy now. It was a comprehensive system of daily warm-up drills, relaxation and flexibility studies, as well as "pattern scales," which are major scales and their associated modes. It's a fantastic resource, from a legend in American trombone. As if you care. And in case you do care, Emory Remington was professor of trombone at Eastman until about 1971, and he was a huge catalyst in developing what's become the ideal American trombone sound: "a singing style with a deep, rich, sonorous tone," to quote Eastman conducting professor Donald Hunsberger. As if you care. But I do, so bite me.

I've got a big game tomorrow, lots of trombone to practice, lots of piano to practice, and my wine is making me both tired and belligerent, so I'm going to fuck off and go to bed. Maybe I'll post more tomorrow. Maybe not. Only one way to find out, isn't there?

Go away kid, ya bother me!

No comments: