Monday, November 24, 2003

Losing is a genuine shit-burger

The game didn't go as well as I'd hoped. We were handed a 6-2 loss, which cost us 1st place in our division. Tonight, unusually, there was little in the way of offense. Defense was dead-on, both lines, and I played more well than not. Although I'm haunted by two or three goals which I blew. I can't take total credit for all six goals against us, so I suppose we'd have likely lost even if I could have the goals in question back. My team-mates claimed it was my best game all season, and I do recall a few spectacular moments (kicking out 4 or 5 shots in rapid succession was a nice touch), but they're over-shadowed by the ones that got through for tonight. Hopefully I'll bounce back & have a better take on the game tomorrow.

We're scheduled to play the Cheap Skates at 7pm next sunday in the 1st round of the double-elimination playoffs. The guys are thinking that this upcoming game will be on the rough side, but we'll be ready for it. Just so long as we don't get into another brawl, since that'd be a quick way to end our playoff run. We shall see how it goes, I guess.

My recital is tuesday and I'm scarcely ready for it. I'm even going to try to avoid practicing it with Meg tomorrow, as it's just plain old not ready. I'll be coming straight back here (to mom and dad's) after school to do some damage control and see if I can get myself adequately familiar with the solo. For anyone interested, it's a Vivaldi cello sonata... Sonata #1, movement #1. It would sound nice if I were to play it well, I think.

I have the house to myself for the week.... mom and dad are languishing down in New Orleans until Friday. As if they needed an excuse to go down to NOLA, there's a national bridge tournament there this week. This means that there's a good chance that I'll be spending Turkey Day by myself here... what fun! I'm still not sure what I'll do food-wise if that's the case. There's a chance I may be able to join TJ in going to his mom's house for dinner, but she just had surgery and might not be up to company. If I have to eat a frozen turkey dinner on Thanksgiving I swear I'll drink myself to death right afterwards. Or at least to sleep. Fuck it.

Meghan stayed over thurday night again... a group of us went to Comix Cafe, since I got comp tickets somehow. The show was great, a foul-mouthed Indian from South Dakota called J. Medicine Hat, who did some great stand-up and a hypnotism routine, making fools out of the hypnotized volunteers. After the show the lass and I came back to the apartment and somehow wound up in bed naked... seems to happen alot when she stops by... curious! Well, Friday morning I finally called Planned Parenthood to see if I could get her a doctor's appointment. They referred her to a couple ob/gyn specialists in town, and I'll be harrassing her to make an appointment starting tomorrow. And I may swing by Weggies on the way to school tomorrow to pick up a bottle of pre-natal vitamins, perhaps. I'm such a goddamned sucker, I swear.

Lastly, I filled out an online audition application for fucking Nik Entertainment. I auditioned for them about 3 years ago, and didn't make the cut. Technically the guy said he didn't need any bassists right now, but the real deal was that I wasn't good enough. I wish people would just come out and say it sometimes. Anways, I've had many a lesson and lots more theory and ear-training since then, so I have higher hopes of being able to pass an audition. Their audition consisted of, at the time I went, a guy playing sequenced bass parts and asking me to play them back. No reading or theory skills necessary, just quick ears. Got it. It'd be cool to get my part-time cash by gigging, I suppose, but I've heard from everywhere that Nik doesn't pay their musicians dick.

Ah well. Like everything else around here, we shall see soon enough.

No comments: