Saturday, November 08, 2003

I am ill, and be-fuddled.

I have been given the gift of a illness of some sort, quite possibly by my enchanting new girl-friend. I suppose I asked for it, making out with her and all, when I knew she was sick. Sometimes I'm foolish like that though.

I'm not sure what to write about... I'm tired and hopped up on cold medication. My nose is running like a faucet. There's a pile of snotty kleenex in and surrounding the waste-basket here. I can't smell or taste much. I don't think I'll be staying up too late tonight... I've bogarted some Benadryl for tonight... I intend to put myself out like a light when it's bed-time so I get some rest.

What happened this week... ? Well, the SMA had our first two meetings, which was good. I mean, only two months after the semester begins we finally get down to business. Ridiculous. But the meetings were good. We met at 8:00 am to drowsily go over ideas we had for developing the music area this year, since a trip is out of the question. Also, Kevin, the president, went over some MENC (Music Educator's National Conference) information, as we're re-establishing the MCC chapter. The next meeting was yesterday, and we officers met with Shirley, the head of student clubs, who gave us a once-over on the do's and don'ts of being club officers. We all have to find a two hour block of time for training, which even Shirley said was going to be boring. It's going to be an exciting year though, as we can focus all our efforts into building the music program into something more than it is, which isn't too shabby as things stand. It's a very dynamic thing to be a part of, really.

I sent my email to Barry Kilpatrick, the Fred State trombone professor, explaining my no-money situation and asking for money if he wants me there in the spring. I don't think he'll be able to wrangle enough money to set me up after moving out there, but hopefully we'll find out next week. For now, I don't actually want to transfer yet. I'm content at MCC, and enjoying doing semi-important things. And things aren't terribly difficult there, so it's the calm before the storm when I transfer. And there's the whole officer experience thing, and developing my trombone chops. And I'm curious where things could go with Meghan too, I guess.

As far as Meghan goes, we got together on Tuesday afternoon between her afternoon and evening class. TJ and I had agreed that I needed to find out about the father of her child... what they had going and what he means to her now. So I asked her about him and explained why I had to know. She understood why I was asking and told me they had been together only about three months and that he was always working and busy, and she felt that she wasn't very important to him. She assured me I didn't have anything to worry about as far as he goes. On top of that, we fooled around for awhile, and she said, "I hope it's not too soon to say I've completely fallen for you." Quite a declaration. So I guess the dad really isn't much of an issue. Still, I'd like her to let me know when she tells him and how he reacts and all.

She's been busy all week playing in the pit band for her former high school's musical, but next week it's back to normal. With this more open schedule will come a trip to Planned Parenthood. I told her that she's long overdue for a trip to a doctor to get her and her kid checked out, and that she was either going to make an appointment with her family gyno or we were going to Planned Parenthood. So we'll see what her choice is this week. She smiled and seemed pleased (or something) at my concern. She seems like a real sweet-heart so far. The next few weeks will be the calm before the storm. But if she doesn't tell her folks about this kid before it becomes obvious, the shit is really going to hit the fan. So I guess that's another thing I'm going to keep on her about, although not as much as the doctor thing.

I went over to Don's (former Jacoda keyboardist) place to learn some of his solo tunes for an upcoming gig. His regular bassist is sick, I was told, and then was informed that he's had AIDS for several years. Wow. Anyways, I learned and charted out three of Don's tunes, and I'll be learning about three more, as well as a cover, in the next couple weeks. I'm already familiar with two of the tunes we're playing, one original (which Jacoda played) and a cover (which Jacoda also played). After the practice, Don and I were chilling upstairs and he said it's not that his bassist was sick, but he's got a new girlfriend and he's on to other stuff right now. So I'm Don's go-to guy for gigs, and he indicated he might ask me to record some stuff too. Cool. Right before I left I critiqued a jazz tune he's shedding on, and helped him shore up his reading a bit.

I'm all wiped out... I'm wrapping this thing up for tonight. I'm getting more and more spaced out and I need to get back to the apartment, so I can chill. Hopefully Meghan will call before I pop my knock-me-out pill, or I'll just be babbling senselessly. Or at least more so than normal...

Lastly, who caught the lunar eclipse tonight? I went outside and caught a glimpse or three through-out the evening. It was very cool... the moon was a deep crimson, and it was fun to catch. I'll have to try to catch the Leonid Meteor showers in a couple weeks. With these couple of events, plus all the sun farts that have sparked up the Earth's electro-magnetic field and spruced up the auroras for all to see... it's been a great month for astronomy!

Ok, I need sleep. Fuck off.

No comments: