It's not so much raining gigs
So the DMB cover gig fell through near the last minute. I got an email from the dude who told me that their drummer left them flat mid-week and they had to shit-can Friday's show. He assured me that he'd like to work with me in the future. Hopefully they'll find another drummer sometime.To-night is the gig with Don and various other eclectic groups at the club side of Water St. Aside from Don Anonymous and the Jessica Hahn Dynasty All-Stars (which is merely 3 chick backup singers), the gig also features the Irthlings, Earl Cram Revue, Filer's new group, Cheezus, and something Jay put together, JJJ. Should be interesting. Apparently I'm supplying bass amplification for the evening, whee. Either I have to stay till it's done at 2 am, or I have to appoint a guardian and tell them to pretend it's their own amp for the rest of the evening. I hate to be a dick and not trust people, but it is a $500 amp, and I can't really afford to replace it too easily. Or at all.
Thursday turned out to be very agreeable... there was high winds and snow all day, so Meghan elected to spend the night in "the dorms," which co-incidentally turned out to be my bed. We spent the afternoon fooling around, went to TJ's for a few hours in the evening, and came back here and crashed, in a not-so-dressed manner. There's something about spending the night with someone, I tell you. And with someone who genuinely seems to dig spending time with you, too. Very cool.
And finally: hockey!
Rebel Dawgs: 10
Cheap Skates: 9
I got an extra period to warm up, as I was given my new goalie pants by Jim and promptly asked to suit up and take over for the beleaguered goalie sub for his team. My team's game started off sluggish by all, with the Cheap Skates getting off to an early 2-0 lead. After that it was almost goal-for-goal again, with defense breaking down on our 2nd line, leaving open players waiting by my posts. When I wasn't being beaten by one-timers from the un-guarded cherry-pickers, I gave up a couple goals with stupid mistakes. By the 3rd we were together, and my 2nd line defensemen and I were communicating well about coverage of open men and it made a drastic improvement. Why in the hell didn't we think of this earlier? Fuck, we're dumb-asses. We were solid in the 3rd, and came from behind to tie the game. The Cheap Skates pulled their goalie and we got an empty net for good measure, sealing the deal, and giving us a 7-2-0 record.
Our final regular season game is next Sunday against the Red Wolves, who are in 3rd place with 6-3-0. It should be a great game, as I suspect both teams will be fighting for the win. We edged them out in the opening game of this season, 8-7. Their goals-against is lower than ours by about 3, so either they have a solid goalie or solid defense, or *gulp* both! Sunday's game will require that both my defense lines cover shooters in the slot and by the posts. I have faith in the ability of our top scoring line, so this game could actually boil down to the goalies. I'd better be warmed up by the first face-off and play for keeps, cause this'll be a close, unforgiving game, I suspect. Either way, I'm already looking forward to it!
Game on!
No comments:
Post a Comment