Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Meet your new Vice-President

I am now an SMA (Student Music Association) officer. At long last, elections were held, almost 2 months later than they should have been, and I succeeded in gaining an office, that of Vice-President of band (there are two VPs, 1 each from choir & band). Although there's only about 5 necessary offices, and only 5 of us ran. But who cares? We can finally start getting some stuff done!

My toe feels somewhat better at times, but looks like death. It's a sickly-looking red, although the green under the toe-nail has faded quite a bit. Standing or walking for any amount of time is unpleasant, as it's already swollen & doesn't appreciate more blood flowing down there... throbbing is usually the reaction. I'm going to call my Dr. today about flu shots, but I'll also ask about my toe... what to look for to make sure it's mending & not getting infected. And I hate to sound like a yellow-bellied cur, but I could use a crutch, walking sucks.

In other news, I'm attending a poetry reading tonight with Meghan. It may sound idyllic to some of you, but don't get the idea that either of us are bourgeois cultured poetry patrons. She claimed not to like poetry, and I'm very critical of most of it. I loathe bad poetry, finding the worst trite and pretentious. I appreciate the works of some of the masters, but overall, it's not my favourite medium of expression. Too many coffee-house poetry slams I guess, replete with black-clad, morose, angst-ridden twits spewing out the most base, nauseating drivel in place of prose. At any rate, she has to go to this poetry recital at the U of R tonight for her english class, and she invited me to attend with her. Add to this that she has a 3-hour break before class, which I'm going to try to put to some good use by inviting her over here for some food and what-ever else may transpire. I think a naked girl would be a perfect distraction from my injured toe.

No comments: