Sunday, October 19, 2003

Game on!


Rebel Dawgs: 12
Warriors: 6


My roller-hockey team, the Rebel Dawgs (4-1-0), played at 6pm against the Warriors, who are now 0-5-0 after tonight. This team is comprised almost entirely of young lads new to hockey... the first game of the season the team I was on thrashed them 12-4, which was a new & exhilarating experience for me. Since then the league organizer, Dave, joined their team, as did one or two other good shooters. Among the highlights were a double hat-trick by our leading scorer, a scrappy second period which I thought would end in a brawl, and early in the 3rd period I mis-handled an attempted pass to a defenseman & the puck went by me... and right into my net. All I could do after that was bow to the other team's cheering fans. Cause if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? Aside from that I was mostly capable & made a good deal of solid saves, including on Dave, who himself is one of the league's leading scorers, and has a blistering & accurate slapshot. As evidence of this I have a developing welt/bruise on my right thigh, and a good bruise on my left big toe as well. It should be a good time limping around tomorrow. Lastly, Ben scored his first goal of the season... their inexperienced goalie dropped to his knees (not even a butterfly, mind you... just kinda kneeling), exposing most of the upper part of the goal, into which Ben neatly tucked the puck. All in all a good game, especially after last week, where we were soundly defeated 12-0 by a great team from the next division up. I must've seen at least 80 shots that game, it was pretty interesting.

I'm relaxing after the game... eating, drinking, updating the blog. But I have yet to clean up the kitchen & finish laundry before bed, so I suppose that's it for the blog for the evening. I want to be up at a decent hour tomorrow to go deposit my student loan check, swing through Tim Horton's, and get to school by 11 to practice. I intend to start a nearly exhausting practice regimen to prepare for the Fredonia audition (not to mention my recital & jury obligations... ).

Until next time...

No comments: