I worked the bar mitzvah from hell last night.
It began quiet enough... I strolled in around 5:00 or so, poured myself some coffee & avoided doing much work. When Kevin, the bartender, arrived around 6:00, I decided to help him set-up, and wound up remaining with him for the night. We opened the bar at 7:30, and I hung around to bar-back, but he wound up asking me to help & soon we were awash in guests, both pouring drinks as fast as we could. The bar was supposed to close for about 45 minutes at 9:15, between the reception & the dinner, but Kevin was instructed to move it without interruption to the ball-room, from the foyer. This itself pissed Kevin off, adding to his irritation that he'd made all of $3 in that first two hours. We couldn't even get the goddamn bar into the ball-room without being rushed by people clamoring for drinks... some of whom were trying to grab the bottles & pour themselves. I haven't seen such rudeness in adults in a hell of a long time.The action was almost non-stop until the DJs shut down at 12:30. There were a few lulls in the activity, where I re-stocked the bar & called Meghan for a couple minutes. Kevin was frustrated & having a rough go if it, so I took over the bar several times while he bar-backed or checked the Yankees' score.
By the time it was all over, we had dealt with rude adults, rude kids, had made hundreds of drinks, dropped and broken a good half-dozen rocks or wine glasses, and had been tipped a total of $35 between the two of us. What a pack of miserable, cheap fucking whores.
•Re-cap of the hockey game tonight upon my return.
No comments:
Post a Comment