Monday, October 27, 2003

I am a fugitive from the Law of Averages

I'm told we won the hockey game last night, 9-8. I wouldn't know first-hand, as I left the game near the end of the 2nd period, due to (you guessed it!) a slap-shot to my left foot big toe! Same fucking toe as last week! This time it was smashed from the top, and there's an unpleasant shade of blue-green under almost the entire toe-nail. I can't accurately begin to describe the pain I was in after this occurred. Excruciating would scratch the surface, probably. I'm still in constant pain, but it's just not as severe. Mom donated a couple Tylenol & codeine to me, and I popped one last night and drifted off to a opiate-induced slumber. My toe still hurt, but I was no longer inclined to give a shit. Wearing any kind of shoe will be out of the question for a couple days, so I'll probably be back to wearing my fleece slippers around. Walking of any kind, especially long distances, shouldn't be very fun either.

Aside from this fantastic turn of luck, Ben informed me that we came from behind to win the game, and to make matters worse, I missed a bench-clearing brawl that the other goalie started. This particular fellow was ejected from the game & tossed out of the league, and my whole team was suspended for a week. On top of the toe, I miss all the fun too. Well, in any event, I played very well while I was in, according to my team-mates, and the Rebel Dawgs are now 5-1-0. I like it.

I'm off to shower & thence to school. It promises to be a challenging & at times unpleasant day.

No comments: