Monday, January 06, 2003

Game on!

Hockey is back. After repeated invitations this fall & early winter by Ben, I've decided to jump back between the pipes for some roller-hockey. The last time I've played was back in 95 or 96 in Arizona, so it's been a hell of a long time. This group began with a bunch of guys playing pick-up hockey on tennis courts in Webster, and now they're trying to get together 8 players to form a team for league play at this place out in Perinton.

The first game, last sunday, was tough as I was getting sick & was pretty wiped out. Today's game was better, although I beat the shit out of myself. I bruised my elbow on the goal-post, I made a kick save without stretching & pulled my groin (no wise-cracks about that... it hurts!), and I gave myself various other scrapes and abrasions. Looks like I'll have to be a little more careful in he future, and perhaps suit up in my full goalie armour. Still, I think we've got the makings of a decent team and it should be a fun season. The spring league starts in mid-February, so I'll keep y'all posted on the progress out here.

It's Christmas-time for Tatiana's church, and they're not screwing around. For about 3 1/2 days straight they have morning and evening church services, and I'm vying with her schedule for a few minutes of her time till Wednesday, when things should hopefully be back to normal. She can even eat meat & dairy again for a few weeks... wow. I'm already planning what kind of decadent meals I can cook in the time till she has to fast again, which is late February or something, till Easter. I admire her devotion, as I don't think I could be in a religion that mandated I not eat meat or dairy for large periods of time. Meat-eating is my religion, I think. The Church of The Holy Dead-Cow.

Jacoda is nearing completion of our second CD, and Mike's still got the big "CD Release Party" in the works. Not that it's even remotely booked or anything, but it's being planned. We're already setting sights on spring & summer music festivals, and I'm sending out a quickly-made demo to the legendary Scotty Paluza, who hosts a renowned & ever-growing festival in late May. I've been told former Dead keyboardist Vince Welnick wants to make an appearance, playing with a big national act, which is a first for Scotty. Well, I think he's had moe. and some other well-known groups. Anyways, I think we're gonna try to play all the big festivals in NY we missed last summer... Oswego Harborfest, Grassroots Festival in Trumansburg, and of course local ones like Lilac, Park Ave, and one or more of the East End Festivals. It'll be a great last hurrah for me as I'll be moving on in the fall, in preparation for school.

Information to be updated as I find out more myself: Kirk & I won't be re-newing the lease at B-18, for several reasons each, although getting along isn't an issue at least. He may move in with Becker, and if I'm not off to school in the fall, I will be in the spring, so a year lease is out of the question. However, Kirk wants to get the ball rolling and get out of the lease early if possible. So I have to find a place that I can tolerate that will rent either for 6 months or month-to-month. And moving is always time-consuming & expensive, so I hate it. Damn & blast. More to come on that as I find out what in the hell's going to happen...

That's all for now... my hockey wounds are getting the best of me and I'm all tired... and of course need to get back to B-18.

No comments: