Sunday, March 27, 2005

An Exhibition, and being hit upon

Tonight I went to Lola's Bistro, on Monroe Ave, to see my friend Cole Gockley's art exhibit. It was swank. He had a bunch of his work up on their walls, and it looked great. He's quite the talent in the visual art and musical worlds. It was a good time, and there was a nifty little jazz combo of young Eastman hot-shots playing up front too... good stuff.

I should appreciate the rare instances that I actually get hit on, but I guess it's tough when I'm being hit on by some dude I used to work with at the Hyatt. For anonymity's sake, I'll omit the name, but this particular chap was quite polluted on wine, and was hanging all over me at a couple points tonight. I like him alright, so I didn't want to run away too quickly, since I didn't want to be a dick or anything, but I dropped the term "girlfriend" a couple times. Especially after he put his arm around me and gave me a big kiss on the cheek. Right around then I began to feel a little like it was time to go shmooze else-where. So I made a gracious get-away to the back where I hung out with Cole again. Whew.

I did some networking too, and gave out a business card or two. I may have gotten my first student for the bass studio I've been thinking about starting. A fellow named Bob, who I've seen around at a bunch of gigs, expressed some interest in learning bass, so I gave him a card and we chatted a bit, about bass and the like, and I told him to give me a call or an email in a month or two (to co-incide with the end of Classes at Fred, of course), and I'd teach him what he needs to know. This would be my first serious venture into private lessons, and I have to admit the idea is kind of exciting!

And finally, a happy resurrection day to all those whom it applies too. Yay for the not-quite-so-dead Christ. Huzzah!

p.s.: stay tuned for upcoming gigs with the Cole Gockley Band... looks like Cole really dug my playing and there'll be additional bookings in the future...


1 comment:

Ryan said...

Well you learn something new every day, huh?

Besides, it probably is quite un-PC these days to haul off and and slug a drunken gay man.