Monday, September 10, 2007

My Gray Cats


There are three cats at my parents’ house, all of whom I brought there. Two from Arizona 11 years ago, and one from my Cazenovia days 13 years ago. Two gray cats, one black cat, all males.

Sadly, the days are winding down for the two gray ones, Fido and Git. Both are suffering from kidney failure, although Git’s is in the very early stages and he’s showing no serious symptoms yet. He also has diabetes and is on nine units of insulin twice per day. Fido is very old, but we don’t know exactly how old. I adopted him as a stray in Mesa in 1995, and he was fully grown then. In the last several months, he’s shown a general decline in health, having difficulty processing protein. He’s much slower than he used to be, and his fur has developed a slight reddish-brown hue. My dad has had to take him to the vet almost once a month recently for one issue or another. I found out last night that the next time he goes in, my folks may have to make a decision whether or not to euthanize him. Currently his quality of life isn’t too bad, though they’ve moved his litter-box upstairs so he doesn’t have to negotiate stairs to the basement.

I love the cats, and I get a little sad thinking about the fact that they may not be around much longer. My parents love them too, and have been spending alot of money for their care, making them as healthy and comfortable as possible. They were abandoned in their youth, but thankfully found a sucker in me, and a family that has shown them enormous love, affection and care, and I think they’ve been given a wonderful life with my family.

I’ll hate to see them go, and I want to try to get over to my parents’ place to spend as much time as I can make with them. Especially so with Fido, who I’m beginning to fear is on his last few months, if not weeks in this world.


1 comment:

battlemaiden said...

They are all good babies, and I hope they hang in there a while longer. *hugs*