Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Climbing Back On The College Horse


"Once again unto the breach..."

After much thought and deliberation, I've decided to hop back on the school horse, having been bucked off several times now. My friend Kirk has been persistent in his encouragement and not-so-subtle suggestion that I finish off a bachelors degree in something. I am, in fact sick to death of the crummy, low-paying blue-collar jobs that I've been working and sick of the boobs I wind up having to work with and work for. I'm tired of the attitudes, the constant berating and brow-beating for any mistakes; it leaves me frustrated and angry. Of course I'm tired of the lack of job security, menial tasks and insufficient wages.

I've investigated the music major idea, and due to a number of factors it doesn't appear practical (or even possible) to pursue that option right now. Heidi has a great job, so we can’t relocate. Also, we’re settling in to our South Wedge neighborhood, and rather enjoying Rochester and western NY in general, so we can’t relocate. In talking with Kirk about this, he’s encouraged me to consider finishing a degree in anything that I find interesting enough to complete and do well at. He rightly points out that I could always pursue music at the graduate level later, if I so choose.

This leads me to my current major: philosophy. I’ll be seeking the bachelors from Brockport, but by the time I looked into it, it was too late for the fall semester. So if all goes well in the next couple of days, I’ll be knocking off a few requisite core courses at my old alma mater, MCC. MCC doesn’t have a philosophy major, so I just picked Liberal Arts: Humanities and Social Science. I’m registered for Intro to Philosophy and Intro to Ethics. I’m going to try to get into Intro to Psychology as well, and if I can dig up another interesting course then I’ll be at full-time. Then in January I’ll move on to Brockport as an actual philosophy major, and hopefully have my degree in 2 - 2 1/2 years.

What then? Who knows. I’m just doing one thing at a time here, and I’ll figure out what to do after I get the degree once that time draws nearer. I may elect to enter the white-collar work force, with my analytical, research and reasoning skills. I may decide to go for my masters or even (gasp) Ph.D. We shall see as time goes by.

But it’s time I made an honest, real commitment to finishing a degree. I can’t “try” this option out, I can’t have a “I’ll give it a shot” attitude. When I step into the classroom today, I’m making the commitment to finish what I’m starting. There can be no backing out this time, I have to see it through.

A final note to the blogger-sphere: I’ve activated comment moderation. In the past I’ve had too many instances of writing reflective posts and receiving vitriolic, insulting comments. Although the web is the ultimate democracy, my blog is not. I won’t post any comment which insults me or my thoughts for no apparent reason deeper than petty, self-gratifying malice. It simply won’t be posted, ever. Got it?

In up-coming posts: Why Philosophy?

2 comments:

battlemaiden said...

Here we go again....whee!!!!!

battlemaiden said...

Also, love your bass pic.