Hockey report & other assorted news
Saturday night's game turned out well: an 8-5 victory for us. It didn't hurt that the other team's goalie didn't show up till the end of the 2nd, so we had about 2 1/2 periods to shoot on a crappy, fat goalie. Their regular guy wasn't warmed up so he didn't do much better. Or maybe he just sucks, I'm not sure yet. I personally feel three of my five goals were of the should-have-stopped-them variety, but it's still a win. I just need to eliminate soft goals by the playoffs or we might not pull a three-peat championship.The highlight of the game was killing a 4-on-2 penalty. The officiating was a little uneven, with 5 penalties against us and none against them. I counted at least two cross-checks on our guys with no call, and Ben even complained of a sore back after the game. Mike, the captain, was cross-checked in our corner in the third period. I yelled "cross-check" several times but the ref decided to ignore my observation. So Mike cross-checked the kid into the back of my net, and of course he was called for it. Then some rather florid language ensued from our bench, resulting in an additional penalty for unsportmanlike conduct. Hence the 4-on-2. Our top two players, both of whom have played defense in the past, stepped out to help kill this highly advantaged penalty. Try as they might, two minutes passed with no goals for them. My glove was on fire in the third too, with two or three robberies during the penalty kill alone.
Next week it's back to the Red Wolves, our post-game drinking buddies. It should be a fun, clean game with plenty of good hockey. But we have to win it of course. We're firmly in the lead with a 4-1-0 record, 12 points, and a 4.80 goals against average.
In the last bit of hockey news I get to try out some equipment next week, which I may buy. One of my team-mate's brother is selling his pads and blocker and is going to let me play with them at the next game. The pads are 34" Bauer, fit for ice hockey even, for $150. I think the blocker is a Bauer too, but I'm not sure. He got it with a catcher and doesn't need it, so he said he'd give it to me for $20, and he has a spare mask too, also ice hockey certified, that he'll throw in for nothing. Damn fine deal, all in all.
I have to go do stuff... I have a 5:30 meeting at stupid Hyatt, and tonight will assuredly be a drinking night. So anything I aim to get done today has to be done before the meeting. But it's already 4:00 and I haven't showered, so let's face it... I won't get much done. It's spring break so at least I'm justified in being a shiftless lay-about.
No comments:
Post a Comment