Friday, February 21, 2003

Another vacation draws to a close

and I can safely say that I've accomplished little of merit. I did practice bass alot, at least until I had to take it into the shop to have a seam glued down again. If there's only one reason why I'm eager for spring, it's because my bass can't handle winter in this apartment anymore. Aside from the total lack of moisture in the air, the radiators kick on at their leisure, ensuring it's either blazing hot or bone-chilling cold in here, conditions which carved string instruments don't react well to. I was supposed to practice piano minor stuff daily, which I've completely avoided. Guess I should actually do some of that today.

I got together with Chris, my drummer, a couple nights ago for a few drinks & we touched on some band-related business, such as my role in it. I needed to talk with him about that too, since the decision as to whether I stay or go is between he & I, essentially. We came to a good agreement for now, and it sounds like they're willing to work with my schedule , although I let him know that I'll probably have to bow out eventually, but I think we'll deal with that possibility down the road sometime.

I went to SUNY Fredonia with Tatiana yesterday, which was a good time. We met up with some church friends of hers & got a tour of the music building (Mason Hall) there from the assistant director, which was groovy too. I already had a good opinion of the school, but I think seeing the actual facilities & meeting faculty there helped Tatiana form a better opinion of it there. She even suggested that if she decides to pursue music, she's more likely to pick Fred State over Geneseo. Not bad, I say. Not more than a couple months ago I'd totally ruled out her going to Fredonia, but now... well, we shall see. We're both auditioning on April 12th, and I guess we'll both know more after that. Oh, and I met the bass faculty there, which was good. It's easier to audition having met who you're playing for. It makes them more human & less intimidating, especially since Dr. Jacobson seems like a nice, easy-going guy. And Fredonia could use both bassists & pianists, so Tatiana & I are in a good position as long as we audition well. And I have every confidence she's got what it takes to get in, but I'm not so sure about myself. I have alot of stuff to get down in less than 2 months. Eek.

Well, off to practice (maybe...) and run errands today. Getting new impressions of my ear-canal today so I can get a new pair of so-called Musician's Earplugs, which are the absolute best in my humble opinion.

No comments: