Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Whirl-wind of a month

My Dearest Readers (both of you),

I apologize for not posting sooner, but alas it's been a busy, busy month since I last wrote. My employment situation has changed, and much for the better, but it's been keeping me busier than a cat trying to bury shit on a marble floor. I was officially hired as the late-night cook at a local bar and restaurant. I'm omitting the name so I can freely write about my co-workers without damaging anyone's reputation. Those of you who know where I work, please refrain from dropping the name in comments!

I'm also still employed as a banquet server and occasional bartender. And this is the busy time of year for banquets, so I've been working a fair amount of doubles, going from one job to the next, often with only a couple hours to change and relax, if I even got that. It's been extremely tiring, and it feels good to be working my ass off again.

The restaurant is an interesting place to work. It's a small, privately-owned joint in a neighborhood up by the lake. A lot of regulars go there, and stumble out drunk. It's a fun place, both to hang out, and to work. I immediately began to pay attention to which way the winds blew around there though, in the back of the house (BOH to all you kitchen neophytes!). There's three other cooks, and there's discernible tension between all three in some way or another. Thankfully, the servers and cooks all get along, more or less, so there's no shouting
matches on the line. A few acidic comments every so often, but it's nice not to have the typical FOH/BOH clashes. We do have one extremely lazy dishwasher though. Nice guy, but more than half of the pots, pans, utensils and dishes he sends us and the servers has to be dumped back in a bus-tub. If he didn't show up on time reliably most of the time, he'd be completely useless, instead of only mostly useless.

Dear Readers, I have more BOH gossip for you next installment, even more lurid than this introduction. But I shall have to save it for next time. Which I promise won't be another month! For now I must get moving on my tasks for today, which include a mid-day rendezvous with my lover, and then a trip out to hang with my old friend/former roomie in Fredonia, TJ.

2 comments:

irondequoit said...

Hey I am a reader as well! Was I one of the both of you, or dont you consider someone who disagrees with you politically as a reader? Doesnt mean I dont respect you. I do enjoy your bird blogs, think of you when I have a hot at the newly opened I-Hots and did say a prayer for Mr. Eldridge Moores soul.

Ryan said...

Wow, I'm glad to have three known readers now! Thanks for the comment, and I welcome all readers in the blog-o-spere, regardless of political and/or ideological leanings.

I only say "both of you" as a joke (to myself, really), as I assume my girlfriend and our mutual friend (who both have blogs too) are the only ones who regularly read my blog. Joke's on me I guess...

Thanks for the kind thougts, especially for Eldridge.