Saturday, April 08, 2006

Yet more hustling

I took a couple more proactive steps towards becoming a cook late this week. First was Thursday, when I went to the Grill to talk to the co-owner directly about the job there. I figured she wasn't going to call me back; restauranteurs are usually very busy, plus she has a day job. I had to wait around for a good ten minutes, but Barb, the said co-owner, did pop out of the kitchen before running to the store to chat with me. She informed me that they do have a guy for the job, but he's been "kind of iffy," and if things don't work out with him by sometime next week, she'll give me a call. Not bad, I guess.

The more promising advancement I made was yesterday. I worked a buffet lunch at the RIT Inn and Conference Center and decided to pursue employment in the kitchen again, after hearing that they need cooks. I was told by the management that they have to honor the Employment Store contract, which says that if they want to hire me they have to buy me off. Well, I got tired of hearing this and decided to call my boss, Cheryl to see if we could compromise. I was surprised when without hesitation she said, "here's how you can get around it." Apparently she's more concerned with her workers landing good jobs than with the Employment Store's desire that she keeps temps around. So she explained that she only makes the contract apply to positions that a client requests through a work order and she supplies a temp for. RIT Inn hasn't requested any more line cooks, and I've only worked as a server there, so they wouldn't be breaching the contract if they hired me in the kitchen. Nice. Cheryl even called the Inn's office to explain that so they could feel free to hire me. Super nice! So I hunted down the exec chef and let him know it was all sorted out, and asked if he still needed people. He did, and asked me to get an app in as soon as possible, that afternoon before human resources closed if I could. If there's nothing preventing HR from hiring me, I feel very confident that chef John will take me on board.

The only issue I can foresee is this: what happens if both the Grill and RIT Inn offer me cooking jobs? That would be a very tough choice!

2 comments:

battlemaiden said...

The sooner we both work full time, the sooner, well, you know.....

Ryan said...

I know alright, and I can't wait! Must get out of this house...