Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Hustling

"It sounds like you're really hustling, man," said Kirk. I guess I am. I've gotten a ton of banquet shifts this week, and I almost got a prized gig yesterday: AM cook's helper at the RIT Inn & Conference Center. Unfortunately, the email for that one (and many other jobs) arrived shortly after my ten hour shift at the Double Tree hotel began. So I lost out on it, which really blows. It's not like I've talked with the executive chef at the Inn about working and training there or anything. (In case you missed it, that was sarcasm; I did talk to him about just that!) This was no more than two weeks ago, and now that the opportunity arrives, I'm working some goddamned food service trade show and I miss out on it! Fuck and damn. So my consolation prize is an indefinite-term job at the Mott's plant waaaaay out in Williamson. After my 40-ish minute commute, it sounds like I'll be working the cafeteria thing; making pizza, working the grill and fryer, and (hopefully not too often) cashiering. Anything to get me into a kitchen and out of FOH shit is good, I guess. My boss, Cheryl says that they're interviewing for the job, but if I walk in there and kick some ass they may decide to keep me instead.

Also, when I threw my name into the hat at the Grill by applying there Friday night (while mildly inebriated), I guess it became a legitimate job pursuit... as opposed to the half-assed one it's been for a long time. So tomorrow I intend to call them up and check on the status of my app, so they know I'm serious about this. If the guy the owner has a line on doesn't want the gig, I should land it no sweat. But if he wants it, I doubt the recommendation of three staffers will help me get it... such is the way of nepotism.

3 comments:

battlemaiden said...

I miss you! My schedule will calm down somewhat after Easter and my jury duty stint is over. *hugs n' kisses*

Julia said...

*spits all over the place* Bwwaaaahhhhhahahahhhaaaaa! That's the funniest shit I've read in comments in a long time. Hands off my man, Yo!

Ryan said...

That's it, I'm about to get pissed here. Who's with who now? I can't keep track! Heidi, can I keep you to myself? Please? :-D