Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Sackets: Departure

Ryan: We up and taking our showers for our last morning on vacation. Yesterday was plagued with sunburn and thunderstorms. We took a drive into Watertown, which is still a dump. One of my favorite parts was when Heidi asked me what kind of cultural stuff they had there (i.e. symphonies, art galleries, etc.). I could only tell her the 10th Mountain Division Band in nearby Fort Drum was it. It's pretty much Fort Drum's shopping center.

I stayed out in the sun too much Friday and Sunday, and now I'm paying for it. And lest Heidi beat me to mentioning it, I eschewed sun-block, like a moron. But I want a nice tan, which I hope I'll get once the burn subsides. But my vitaligo spots got absolutely scorched, which probably isn't a good thing. But yesterday I could only move around in a couple different positions, as pretty much anything hurt my roasted skin.

So we've had a not-so-comfy, not-very-sunny end to our vacation week. It's partly cloudy and hazy out now... not the bright and sunny weather we both love. Heidi misses her baby (read: dog! not real baby!), and it's just time to go home. So this morning we're going to Tin Pan for a yummy break-fast (and coffee... very important!), then we'll come back here to pack and clean up so we can leave as soon as possible. I think the vacation was over Sunday, pretty much. Yesterday we just spend some recovery time here.

Although the sunset last night, after the storms was spectacular. The sun made her appearance just above the horizon, blazing through a break in the clouds to illuminate them with a bright red, reflecting a stripe from horizon to shore. We were eating dinner, and I rushed outside with the camera. Then we sat and watched her slip quietly below the clouds on the water-line. It was gorgeous.

And now, Heidi's emerged from the bath-room, so I must shower so we can get out of here. Back to the drudgery of every-day life...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you feel you can dump on Watertown.

Ryan said...

Um, I can dump on Watertown. What's to stop me? That's the beauty of this country: anyone's free to say what they feel. Including you, anonymous. Your complaint about my lack of appreciation has been duly noted and won't be taken into consideration next time I bitch about that worth-less dump.

Anything else, hot-shot?

Cassandra Kinaviaq Rae said...

Yeah, it's interesting how vacations aren't 24/7 of happy, happy, joy, joy. I'm not sure why I thought that would be the case on our last holiday. So one minute of unhappiness (like not sleeping well) felt like a universe of agony. "I'm supposed to be basking in the glory of vacation," pouty lip extended. Like somehow vacationing was supposed to turn me into the definition of fun and eliminate natural human tendancies. Interesting.

I think I'll be human on my next holiday :)

Ryan said...

It really is interesting... it's like we put extra pressure on ourselves to be happy every second of a vacation, which probably adds to frustration. We forget to let ourselves be human, as you wrote, and to allow ourselves the not-so-happy moments while on a get-a-way.

Not sure why people do that, but it would be nice (or at least realistic) to keep our natural moods come and go a little, even on vacations!

battlemaiden said...

1. Watertown is a hole. That much I agree with. Although, I read in the paper today that a resident of that city just won $56 million from the NYS lottery.

2. Ry, you are absolutely right about the pressure thing. But when we were done with our final swim of the afternon, done packing the car, etc., I really, really, really did NOT want to leave the beach to come home. It's much easier to end a vacation when the weather's bad. I wouldn't have flet bad leaving on Monday after that awful weather we had.

Cassandra Kinaviaq Rae said...

Hmmm...I wonder if the lottery winner will stay in Watertown?!?!

Anonymous said...

Funny how a 33 year old who has not decided what he will be when he" grows up " feels he can call anybody else a "hotshot" in a deferrential manner. Let ME know when you think you are truly an adult. BTW: I though you decided to give up alcohol?? I will continue to monitor your pathetic life as I have for the past 2 years, you truly are CLUELESS.
Some hotshot musician, you flunked out of SUNY Fredonia!!
Stick with bussing tables, it suits your work ethic!!
One more thing...the only reason your girlfriend is interested in you is because she was dumped by another loser and thinks she can't do an better.

battlemaiden said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
battlemaiden said...

First of all, "deferential" is spelled with only one "r" and was misused as a vocabulary word. Anyonymous' command of the English language is lacking.

Second, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." -John 8:7

Clearly Anonymous is grossly misinformed. Until he has all the facts, he should keep his mouth shut. His was a profound display of ignorance.