Monday, June 27, 2005

I am a matriculated Brockport student again

I spent Friday at SUNY Brockport for their blissfully efficient orientation. I was expecting some torturous, eight-hour affair, like Fredonia, but I was pleasantly surprised! The whole day was organized around getting new students registered, without the required tour of every inch of campus, like some other colleges I've been to recently. *cough cough*

I arrived at about 9:45 to discover all the new students corralled in the auditorium, with the president droning on and on (and on!). This is because he was killing time until 10:30, when everyone was released to go to advisement. I became terribly bored within 10 minutes, so I excused myself and went to get my student ID instead.

At 10:45 I was back in the Seymour Student Union for advisement. A group of new History majors sat around a long table, and two faculty regaled us with the finer quality of Brockport's History department, and I found that it's the largest in NY state (within SUNY, or of all the colleges in NY? I just don't know). Apparently there are 400(!) majors in the department. Wow. So I was in there an hour or so pouring over available courses and schedule templates, trying to determine which courses I'd be taking in a couple months. I selected three history classes and a contemporary issues course, which is a required category at B-Port. The faculty signed my over-ride slips and registration sheet, and i headed for Dailey Hall, the computer lab building where we'd be registering. On the way, I dropped into the Political Science table and left a poli-sci minor. Wow. I headed out into the oppressive heat to hike down the mall to Dailey, and with the greatest of ease, I registered for my five classes. Well, six if you count the computer skills class I had to sign up for. Ridiculous. It's a 1 credit, half-semester, one day a week class to prepare for a computer skills test. Laughable. I signed up for the early test so I can opt out of this waste of time, but we were required to register for it regardless.

With that, I made my way back to the car, dropped off my parking registration form at the Welcome Center/Parking Services building, and got my little orange hangtag permit. Then I hit the road, and that was that. I'm back in Brockport now.

So here's the course-load:

HIS 102 Modern World, MWF 9:30-10:30,
ANT 332 China/Transition, MWF 10:45-11:45
HST 390 The History Seminar, MWF 1:15-2:15
PLS Political Thought, MWF 2:30-3:30
HST 328 Women in America, TR 1:15-2:45

This isn't set in stone just yet... I have until classes start (and then a few days) to adjust the schedule. I'm thinking that it wouldn't hurt to move one of those courses (probably history seminar) to Tuesday-Thursday, to spread stuff out a little. For now, it looks like I'll be getting alot of my reading and writing done on those days, since there's just the one class.

I feel alot more comfortable with this plan than the music program, it feels more natural, and I'm sure I'll be more competent. And 15 credits of regular academic work will be a breeze compared to my 13 credits of music ed last fall. 13 credits in music major land isn't really 13 credits, as I've explained before. It's at least 20. In history, 15 credits is pretty much 15 credits.

Sweet.

No comments: