Thursday, March 04, 2004

Adding pestilence to injury

Tuesday found me congested, coming down with a cold. I first thought it was allergies, but I decided it was more viral in nature by evening, and began the chugging of Wegmans brand DayQuil to relieve my snotty nose and sneezing. Wednesday I was more congested, my nose running all day accompanied by periodic sneezing. Tatiana somehow guilted TJ and I into going down to Geneseo for a pre St. Patrick's Day concert with the Geneseo String Band and various Irish and Celtic guest musicians, including Mitzie Collins. The show was replete with bagpipes and Irish dancers, it was good stuff. We quickly made tracks out of there after the concert since I was feeling like grilled ass. I stayed up to late talking online and re-copying theory homework into Finale. Actually Tatiana did that for me too... she must've been bored and bet me that she could re-copy it faster than me, and she was right. I chugged some NyQuil and crashed.

This morning Kirk called and woke me up, where-upon I discovered the cold had migrated to my chest. I had a cough, a wheeze, and a rattle in my chest. Chris, my internet-introduced pierced nipple friend dropped in for a visit on her way to the gym. I made some coffee and she volunteered to make some scrambled eggs. She hit the road & I showered and went to pick up TJ for school. Late, of course. The tranny in his Ford shit out so I'll be driving him to school most of the time until he gets a new car. So as the day progressed my cough and wheeze persisted, and my breathing has become shallower, and now I have to use my asthma inhaler about every half hour or so. So I suspect we're looking at acute bronchitis. I went to WebMD.com to do some research and the symptoms match up well. I had to drop in to mom & dad's to borrow rent money again (humiliation, anyone?) and they got a load of the coughing and wheezing, and wrote a separate blank check and ordered me to go to the doctor's tomorrow. I'm not interested in fucking around with this, so I'm going to call them and make my problems sound as bad as I can, particularly to the tune of not being able to breathe for shit, so they give me an emergency appointment tomorrow. If there's any meds they can give me, I'm all for it. The first playoff game is at 6pm Sunday and I intend to be between the pipes for it if it's humanly possible.

I'm off for a beer or three and then bed. I'll post again soon if I don't succumb to this infernal blight before then!

No comments: